Blackbird or other cheesemakers...

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What would happen if I used Blackbird's chevre recipe but used cow's milk instead because I am itching to try out the culture and rennet and have some whey on hand, but won't have access to goat's milk until July. It is raw, whole cow's milk.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go for it! Everything you make will be cheese of some sort. Maybe nothing you've ever tried before, but still something interesting!

I only threw one cheese attempt to the chickens, and it was because my mistakes were huge and ridiculous. It may have been edible...the hens loved it....but the texture was like a giant puffball.....ew!

All my other "failed" cheeses were still eaten and enjoyed. Some got much better when forgotten in the back of the fridge for a few weeks. Officially, it is called "aging...." :p

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking- that it would turn out to be cheese of some sort. Can somebody give me a fancy French name for fresh, soft cow's milk cheese?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, almost anything you do to milk with acid, cultures, and/or rennet will make SOMETHING cheesy, most of which is edible if you are not overly narrowminded about it :)

I would think you might find a chevre-type recipe made with cows milk a bit bland -- similar things are, to my palate anyhow -- but it is easy to either mix some herbs in or do the chevre thing and roll a 'log' of the cheese in herbs.

Do it and tell us what it's like! :)

Pat