Blueberry question

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone here grow blueberries? I have been researching them a bit and have a local source for some plants. However, I'm wondering how many plants I would need to make it worth the effort? How many plants for 2 people? I'd like to get enough berries each year for some jam and enough to freeze for use during the rest of the year.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Lots of factors to consider, like the variety, etc. We have 8 bushes for the 5 of us, but I'm always going to the local pick-your-own patch for more. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Would you be planting the "rabbitseye" types, I think, in FL? (I totally do not know about southern blueberry growing, only that it is different than in the north). Those can get pretty large so you would not need nearly as many bushes as if you were doing the little half-high or wild lowbush ones you gots to grow up *here* :p

Can I suggest that unless there are a whole lot of wild blueberry plants already flourishing right near your property, it owuld probably be best to plant only 2 or so for now, and see how they do over the next few years. Blueberries are rather picky about soil, moisture, pH, etcetera and you wouldn't want to have invested in six or ten bushes if it turns out they are just not going to do well for you.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I planted four plants last year and since they are rather expensive I have decided to see how these plants do over the next two years before buying any more. They survived the winter and are budded out so I am hoping that they do do well here.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My area is good for either SHB or Rabbitseye - I'm right on the boundary line (according to a report I read put out by the University of Florida). The plants I was looking at are Emerald SHB. We have no wild blueberries around, hence my wanting to grow some. For this area, it is recommended to grow them in pine bark, which is readily available. Hmmmm... maybe I'll start off with just 2 or 3 and see how they do.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Don't ever pick roadside blueberries...EVER! Here in Ontario, the hydro companies sprayed the roadsides and any power lines with Agent orange. I kid you not. Apparently they don't anymore...they've probably replaced it with something even more deadly.