Book Club?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just read "Making It" by Coyne and Knutzen, and thought it was pretty good, if somewhat incomplete.

Anyone else?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never heard of that book. What is it about?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The subtitle is "Radical Home Ec for a Post Consumer World". It's basically a recipe book, though only about 1/3 are food recipes.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh - yes. It's part of the DIY/Maker Faire kind of thing. Lots of stuff that many folks do here already. Soaps and laundry detergent, and solar cookers, etc.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have it and like it. Lots of the things in there are small scale and simple, which I like. The blender soap recipe was easy and quick, although my family is not thrilled with homemade soap. The book has a bunch of other stuff that I would love to make if I had more time -- lip balm, herb tinctures, mead, face cream, etc.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will see if it is in the library's Evergreen system.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gearing up to try the tinctures. Gotta grow some different herbs, first, though. :cool:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's been in my Amazon cart for a month, good to see some reviews from others here. I have not ordered due to I have other books on the subjects I thought might be in there. Lately I have been disappointed in some of my book orders and we have a pathetic library for borrowing books to see if I like them first.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
It's been in my Amazon cart for a month, good to see some reviews from others here. I have not ordered due to I have other books on the subjects I thought might be in there. Lately I have been disappointed in some of my book orders and we have a pathetic library for borrowing books to see if I like them first.
Have you tried inter-library loans? You can have your library find it at a library that is willing to loan it. It is usually free, but sometimes there is a small charge for shipping if it comes from another state. (You can put a limit on how much you would be willing to pay.) Indiana has INCOLSA - libraries pay a flat annual fee and books are moved around the state for free.Our library joined the Evergreen system which is a growing group of libraries that loan books to patrons of any library in the system.