BOT fly eggs/ Ticks (need advice, totally clueless)

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, we've got a nice old horse that lives on the farm. She doesn't belong to us, but the folks that brought her out have been absent for a years and we like her company. Anyway, tonite she was really trying to scratch the curve of her belly, in front of her hip. I went over to scratch and I discovered her belly is COVERED in tiny red ticks... and she's got hard abscesses w/ cheesy yellow goo (like big pimples). I was picking off the ticks when I noticed the tiny yellow eggs coating her legs and belly- they've got to be bot eggs.
My questions:

1. I was touching her, the eggs and the abscesses w/ my bare hands. Now I have the heeby jeebies. Am I at risk?

2. My sheep share the barn and pasture with her. Are the bots a risk to them??

3. I'm assuming we'll spend tomorrow w/ bot knives- cleaning her off far from the common areas. Any hints?

4. I assumed the abscesses were from ticks growing in to the swelling, is it more likely they are bot larvae?? Do I have to cut them out?

5. I read about the importance of worming the horse w/ an appropriate wormer after the first hard frost to eliminate the likelihood of them surviving 'til spring, any advice on a brand?

Oh man, my skin is crawling. UGH!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If the horse hasn't been de-wormed in years you might want to start with a gentle deworming agent such as Strongid C2X pellet in the horses feed. Strongid will NOT kill bots, but the problem with worming a horse that hasn't been on a schedule is the possible kill-off of too many parasites at once.

Rather than try to explain - I'm going to post a link.

The one thing my veterinarian disagrees with in this article is the use of Moxidectin paste. He would rather tube the horse or use an ivermectin product.

http://www.moniteausaddleclub.com/deworming.htm#Implementing A Horse Worming Schedule

Good luck!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
As far as I know, bots are specific to horses. Another thing you might try is a slicker stone. They also remove bot eggs.

As for worming, there's a lot of disagreement now as to what you should do about worming. B4 spending the money on a wormer, it might be wise to have a vet do a fecal. Then, let them tell you what, if anything, you should use.

And, I doubt very much that your at risk for any disease. As long as none of the ticks have gotten on you, you should be fine. Most diseases are species specific.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
have you thought about doing a permethrin or ivermectin topical on her?

any of the 10% permethrin horse fly sprays SHOULD kill any ticks...im not sure about bots, but when i had my flea issue in the house i bought a permethrin house spray an not only did the fleas die like mass genocide but the random ticks that came in on the cats didnt stand a chance!
i also know that standard ivermectin when used by putting it on the coat on dogs and cats (just like you woudl with a tube of frontline) kill fleas ticks, mites and im sure anything else that acts as a parisite...i just dont know how much youd use in that situation for horses.

http://www.horseswithamie.com/horsehealth/botfly.html