Bourbon Red's DETAILED How to Hog Harvest Instructions

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Say folks, just because there are so many of you interested in running right out there and butchering your hogs.....

I posted Bourbon Red's DETAILED instructions on how to do it yourself on my blog:

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-hog-harvest-step-by-step.html

hey Nifty - are you out there? do you wanna make this an article?

there are LOTS of pictures - so only look if you can - and i dont have anymore room in my upload file thingy here...

i put it up on my site mostly because i'm afraid i'll loose the instructions if i just print them out from what he sent me. plus i wanted to show the world that a couple of regular people can do this.

and no thats not us in the pix - its BR and his pal. this was done last winter during one of those weird late snows. we were supposed to go up and help but we couldnt even get the big truck out of the drive let alone mush thru the snow for 3 hrs one way. he was an awfully good sport getting all this done and we really appreciated it.

and since AL said she'd rather butcher hogs and chickens... well... there you have it. no excuses. ha! (just kidding)

anyway

this was the only reference we used when we marched out there on friday. sure we always were out there but BR usually led the charge. and i gotta tell ya, doing it is much different than watching. especially when you find a buncha extra parts.

anyway - look if you dare. then print it out and run right out there and give them pigz the business.
;-)

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs thanks for the info! I don't have hogs yet but would like to in the future so this info will be very helpful!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That was great! And I'm sticking with chickens :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ah heck baby you could do it,.. imagine your crazy neighbors.. it would send them into a frenzy for sure

ha!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Yeah, they would freak out.

Alas, we have nowhere to raise them so it isn't even an option. That's OK, I'll pay David to do it for me. ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wifezilla's detailed hog processing instructions...

1) Call Heath the Hog Farmer.
"Hey Heath! I want one of them there evil rotten pigs of yours all made in to meat!"

2) Write out a check to Heath the Hog Farmer.
"Hey Ed! Write Heath a check quick! We are out of bacon!!!"

3) Wait for the butcher to call so I can tell them how I want the now deceased evil rotten hog cut up.
"Thick cut the pork chops, don't bother seasoning the ground stuff cuz we will do that ourselves, and YES I want the fat. DUH!"

4) Wait for Heath to show up with a big box of dead pig.

5) Fill freezer and LOCK IT so Max doesn't eat all the bacon in one shot :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* snort *

i gotta say.. they taste a little better when they got a little malice on 'em

HA!

anyway... *looks behind me on the counter* i gotta get cuttin.. them's pork chops waiting to be set free from their bondage

;-)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pics! And is it just me, or is that pic of the hog on it's back so cute?! Hiney in the air. :lol: Nevermind that it has no head, it's still cute!

Latest posts