Bracing for round 2

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There are still parts of North Jersey, New York and maybe PA that still don't have electricity and may not get it for over a week. (Don't know about the areas that got the snow, I don't hear much about them.) And, we are in the middle of an early cold snap. Temps are way below normal for this time of year. We've not had a sunny day since a few days B4 Sandy hit. Plus, the wind has been blowing almost constantly. Today, for the first time in well over a week, it's supposed to be sunny. Still cold, but sunny. (I might actually be able to take the bike to the farm this afternoon!)

And, if the weather channel is right, we could be hit w/a Nor'Easter in the middle of the week. There could be more rain and wind as well as some mixed precipitation or even snow! I am hoping and praying that this isn't going to be the pattern for the whole winter! I've not been able to get into my field to clean it-it's just too wet. The area I got seeded is dry, and a few spots that are higher are dry. It is drying out (the wind is helping), so I should be able to clean in on Monday and Tuesday.

But, I am not looking forward to another storm. I have a ton of stuff to do outside B4 it gets too cold and the ground freezes. I might be able to get stuff done tomorrow and Tuesday, but w/the time change, I'm not sure how much I'll get done. :/

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, we're going to get hit again today. I'm not sure when it's going to start to rain. But then, it's going to change over to snow. Yesterday, they were calling for 1-3 inches on grassy areas. Now, they're calling for 1-3 inches today and 2-4 inches overnight! Many people around here are idiots when it comes to driving in the snow. I'm expecting to lose power from someone hitting a pole. I don't plan on being out longer than I need to be.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yuck. Stay safe! Everything here is covered in frost, but no precipitation, yet. Supposed to get snow tonight. :/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope it's not another bad one, stay safe!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, it started to rain right around 10:00 and almost immediately changed to snow. I had gotten to the farm early so I could feed Stormy early and get out of here. I was hoping nothing would hit until this afternoon. If it hadn't been for everything coming early, my plan would have worked. But, I got Stormy his 2nd feeding, then blanketed Misty and Licorice (Misty was shivering so I'm glad I did), got hay put in the run in, got the chickens in, took care of Cindy and left. And by the time I got home, the ground was covered. So, I don't have a clue as to how bad this is going to get.

Hubby brought in wood last night, but I didn't realize how little until I went to stuff the stove later. I just hope we have enough for tonight. I'm going to have to go out later and feed the goats-I'm hoping for a break in the snow-and hopefully I can get more wood in.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The storms seem to have paralyzed some of the east coast but not enough to stop the election. At least you have control of your own environment at home from what it sounds like. Hope you have enough wood to stay warm and dry.
You are due for a "Nor'easter" today/tomorrow. Not a good time to ride that Sporty...huh?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Nope, not a good time to ride it at all. I rode Sunday for the first time in over a week and was a bit cold. Haven't ridden it since since it's been cold and cloudy every morning when I'm wanting to leave.

The weather keeps changing from snow to rain and back to snow. At this point in time, I don't trust what the forecasters say we're going to get for total accumulation. We still have trees w/leaves and this is a wet snow. I'm expecting some damage to the trees.

I have bread rising and stew cooking. I need to make some chocolate chip banana bread. Other than that, I just plan on cleaning. It's a good day to stay inside.