Brand new old door! Yay!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FINALLY, no more draft, no more freezing mornings in the kitchen, AT LAST WE INSTALLED THE BRAND NEW OLD DOOR.

Our house is VERY typical of victorian farmhouses, for instance finding a front door has been nearly impossible, and definitely not a steel one unless we resized the opening (this will happen next year, but we will not install a steel door, we will have the same style door as we have just installed custom made). A while back we found a gorgeous cedar door at the Habitat store, $25.00, it was too tall and too wide, but we decided it could be resized with minimal effect on the actual door. Well... here it is! And it looks gorgeous even though we only have one coat of paint on it so far! Also note, the door had been apparently sitting in a lot of water for a long time as the grain was all raised, we sanded it down and it came back to life, and lastely... the porch light is new :D Our pump guy got an electrician from Belleville out today to hook up the warming light in the pump house (we have a freeze free, runs back to the well instead of hanging out in the stand pipe system, but the box in the barn that houses the tap still needs a light to keep it from freezing in there), and my mum hijacked him to put up at least one of our porch lights, which looks gorgeous, we have two of these bought from Home Depot, they're a heritage light, with bubbled glass, and I am very pleased with them. We'll be having the second one installed after the holidays.

porchlight.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You are right it is gorgeous. What a wonderful find for you. I sure miss our Habitat store. It closed down a few years ago. Such a shame in a town this size that they claimed not to be making enough money to stay open.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
You are right it is gorgeous. What a wonderful find for you. I sure miss our Habitat store. It closed down a few years ago. Such a shame in a town this size that they claimed not to be making enough money to stay open.
We have a large new one in the city about 20 minutes from here, and I'm going friday to see if I can pick up some gable vents for the duck house, sheathing or plywood, windows, and siding for the duck house.

I've always loved the habitat store, the best one I've been in here is in Toronto, they have everything, and lots of new whole kitchens that have been taken out of houses.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I just discovered there's a Habitat store not far from us! I wonder if DH would appreciate a gift card there?