Bread Pudding

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Many years ago, when my DD was a baby I was rceiving USDA food boxes. Most of this stuff could barely be called food. White rice, powdered milk, powdered eggs, canned chicken, canned juices, etc. Once in a while something cool like honey would be included, or butter, raisins or a huge hunk of yellow cheese.

So we had to get creative with the cooking in order to make this stuff palatable. There were several of us who got these packages and we worked together on finding good recipes. One of these friends made bread pudding and it was very good. So every once in a while I look for a recipe and make it. I love the one I dug up the other day.

This is from Nature's Golden Treasure Honey Cookbook

Family-Favorite Bread Pudding

2 2/3 c. day-old bread cubes
1/4 c. honey
2 tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 2/3 c hot milk
Nutmeg

Place bread cubes in a small baking dish. Combine honey, butter, salt, eggs and vanilla; stir in milk slowly. Pour over bread; sprinkle with nutmeg. Set baking dish in pan of hot water. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until pudding is set. Yield 4 servings.

You can really taste the honey in this dish. I think kids would really like it too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Looks good and easy. Just might have to try that some night.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yum..that sounds very tasty FarmerDenise, i love bread pudding...! Thanks for sharing, i'm in the mood to make some..!!