Bread, tomato vines as livestock feed?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how good this if for my chickens but they get all the stale bread and they can consume all the too tiny green tomatoes and the vines that I can throw in there- they never seem sick and still lay good eggs and if they get loose in the summer they make a bee line for my tomato plants. I usually pull the vines before the hard frost and take the good green maters for ripening in the house and toss the tiny ones to the chickys along with the vines.
I think that like birds that can eat stuff that is poisonous to us and not have a problem- chickens can do the same.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I haven't made croutons from it. :) And bread never gets old at my house either, with the possible exception of cornbread which will start growing mold spots in 2 days in the summertime and is then tossed to chickens.

Bee, I was VERY interested to learn your sheep can eat tomato vines?I too had heard green parts were toxic (just like anything greenish-tinged on a potato -- though I've eaten that too). Hmmmmm.

I have one plant that is the last in it's row that probably won't give me anything else. I can try giving that to them and see. If all goes well, I could feed the others when I finally have to give up on them. I'm still getting those last few tiny tomatoes and I love them too much to pull them JUST yet, but I expect it will all be over very soon.

It is just one huge bag, and I've been giving bits here and there. Without filling some tummies a few times over I probably can't use it all while fresh. I think I'll dry it into crumbs and give to wild birds and chickens. Should keep a long time dried.

I could get lots more, but since I don't really want to FEED bread I guess I'll pass on it. Maybe a big bag a few times a year, if the crumbs work well.

Thanks again everyone! :)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One thing I do for my chickens is to soak up bread in bacon grease and throw it out to them. They love that stuff. I used to give it to the dogs (great for shiny coats) but they're getting very old now and can't their tummies aren't good with stuff like that anymore.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. Might be good for body warmth for them too, in winter.

I have a young dog and cats, but ... The pup and one cat have digestive issues and the other cat is too delicate. I never considered the bread for them and they only get small amounts of carefully chosed scraps. I hope to start making their food soon to cut down on costs from their current feeds.

But yup, chickies would love it, I bet. Thanks!