broken farm ATV

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I couldnt decide where to post this question, so here goes. I have a 4 wheeler i use on the property for hauling wood, manure, etc. and it wont stay running. i checked the fuel for water and the plug for spark and blew out the carb. it will crank but goes dead when i try to throttle it up. it ran like a scalded dog 2 weeks ago. I really cant afford to take it to a repair shop, they will break one off in you. any ideas on what i could do? or try?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
alternator? just pulling that out of the air

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
firem3
check your fuel filter, make sure it is clean.
check the fuel pump, make sure it is working.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have the same thing happening to ours, so thanks for posting the question! Never thought about asking here!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
check the carb again.....this is usually the problem area when it is throttled up....even a small blockage is a pain in the carb.....just a suggestion to help ya. I hate when engines go wrong! ugh!

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just a thought there has been quite a bit of bad gas lately. I got a tank in my truck and it is difficult to keep running. Its a pain but I am trying to run it out because of gas cost and disposal issues.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1acrefarm said:
Just a thought there has been quite a bit of bad gas lately. I got a tank in my truck and it is difficult to keep running. Its a pain but I am trying to run it out because of gas cost and disposal issues.
Maybe adding some isopropyl alchohol would help. Not a lot just enought to get the bad gas out?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just thought id say thanks for helping, im trying to be more self sufficient like most of you but i think i need to hone my mechanical skills. ive tried some of the suggestions nothing worked so far but im still trying.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like the carb if it won't throttle up. If you got some bad gas it would definitely cause problems.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just a note to let those who assisted me that im up and runningand thanks for your help. fyi if this happens to you remove the carb and soak it in parts cleaner or brake fluid overnight, the next day spray out ALL the jets with carb cleaner blow it out with an air compressor and re-assemble it. its what i was told to do and its running like new. you might want to do it if your machine is older as it might improve the power and fuel economy.

Latest posts