Broody Hen

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have this one Buff Orpington hen that I always have to remove from the nesting box at night when I gather the eggs. She never attempts to attack me unless my cousin is with me but if he locks them in and gathers the eggs she attempts to attack him when he goes to remove her then if he succeeds without an issue she goes after him as soon as he puts her on the floor. Could it be because I talk to her before I begin to get her out and as I get her out? I haven't been around chickens that much, this Dec will be 2 years so I'm still learning.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She likes you. My hens growl at me, most won't bite to draw blood. They just complain. If my hubby tries to gather eggs he has to wear my kevlar sleeves or they will take chunks out of him.

I use the sleeves for the ones I know are mean broodies

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far I only have one that is broody so I guess I'm lucky at this point in time. If there is other hens that are reaching that stage I don't know it seeing how I always only find the one in there with eggs under her. There might be another hen in the box but with no eggs under her. The broody hen has 2-3 eggs under sometimes I do get lucky and it will be only one.
I seen a post where a member candled an egg to see if there was a blood circle around it. I've used a flashlight which didn't show anything, so is a candle better than a flashlight? If so, what kind of candle should be used?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The best thing for candling eggs is one of the small flashlights w/a really bright light. I don't even attempt to see if there's anything developing for a couple of days. Here's some info to help you determine if your eggs are developing properly.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Candling means to shine a bright light into the egg in. Dark room. You can see if it's devoping. Blood ring means it started and died.

You can buy a candler. I rigged up a little box and use one of our 1000 lumen flashlights.

I collect eggs everyday. If a hen has eggs to hatch, I mark them so I can remove the eggs that aren't suppose to be with her.

I have 3 broody ameraucana and 3 broody silkies right now. Another silkie has 2 week old chicks. I won't let anyone else have eggs for about another 2 months

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It takes about 24-48 hours for the embryo to really get going developing, so if you can collect the eggs daily from the next boxes, they should be fine for consumption. If you would like your broody to hatch a few chicks for you, mark some eggs with a non-toxic maker, so you know which to leave for her and which to collect.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:hide

I just use a sharpie. Never had a problem

Normally I use the incubator for the eggs and give the chicks to the hens. Those I just pencil on any needed info

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use a Sharpie too....pencils wear off real quick. Never had a problem either.

CH, time to set up a broody busting pen if you don't want her sitting on eggs and would like to have her return to the laying pool. It works to place here somewhere she can't access a nest or nest materials, just has a roost and nothing much else. If you have to, go up at night and place her on the roosts...that will get some cool air under her and help change her hormones around quicker.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Hinotori, post: 398778, member: 4058" ] Normally I use the incubator for the eggs and give the chicks to the hens. [/QUOTE]

I do the same thing. I've lost chicks due to hens fighting over the nesting boxes and then getting in the wrong one. Eggs end up getting smashed, or the chicks died w/out hatching since they're too cold. So I put eggs in the incubator and then when they pip, put them under the hen and make it so she can't get out and none of the others can get in.

Latest posts