Broody hen

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking for advice for the upcoming spring. I am planning, and hoping, for a broody hen this spring so she can hatch some eggs. I have never done chicks, ever! Lol. I don't have the time or patience to do chicks solo so hoping one of my girls can help me out.

I have floor space under the nesting boxes where I could love one to for safety of the chicks not needing a ramp but not sure if this is the best option.

I could fix her up in a dog crate in the run and then close it up for the night (like I would the coop) but is this safe enough? Our run is very safe, nothing has got in there ever, but not sure her being by herself is ok or if warm enough.
Any advice, thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Looking to add 5 to my flock this year ;)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to stick a small dog crate in the coop, but my coop is quite large.
Mine isnt too small but nothing huge by any means, lots more room in the run.

Do you leave the door open all the time or close it up? Just thinking if she needs to go potty or stretch her legs.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine isnt too small but nothing huge by any means, lots more room in the run.

Do you leave the door open all the time or close it up? Just thinking if she needs to go potty or stretch her legs.
I leave it open, we just use a small dog crate. I try my best to keep the other girls out.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have never done anything special for a broody hen, although I lost one day old chick this year that got outside and couldnt get back in. Mama was still sitting on eggs.

Dont really get to see chicks much, they hide under mama all the time.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never done anything special for a broody hen, although I lost one day old chick this year that got outside and couldnt get back in. Mama was still sitting on eggs.

Dont really get to see chicks much, they hide under mama all the time.
So then am I over thinking it?