brushy mtn bee farm- free shipping in December!!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
There is a special going on for the month of December for free shipping for all orders over $100. Promotion code SANTABC

I got 4- 10 frame hive bodies
2 telescoping lids and inner covers
50 sheets of wire crimp beeswax foundation
40 frames
2 entrance reducers
2 screened bottom boards
2 cypress entrance feeders
1 hive tool
1 pack liquid smoke

Complete set up for 2 new hives for $231.25

Merry xmas to me! I've ordered 2 nucs that will be here in April at $174.30.

Total cost for bees and 2 complete standard hive body set ups....$405.55

I didn't think that was too bad.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've thought about getting bees, but have just 2 problems.

1. Don't know what the neighbors would say/do. I don't want to create a problem.

2. I'm allergic to bee stings. :(

Good luck w/your bees. I'm wanting to hear all about them.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Way to go. I so want bees but just can't find the extra cash right now. What a wonderful find though.

Don't forget to post pics when you have it all set up.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just got into a partnership (sorta) with a farmer market friend of ours who has bees and sells honey and bees wax products. He orders the hive parts and warehouses them and hubby puts them together for him. He pays hubby and then sells the finished product. Nice little way to make extra $$ during the winter months when we can't work in the garden.

And while he's here, I'm picking his brain to learn all I can about keeping bees. I've wanted to for some time.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I found a local beekeeping group and started going to the meetings....I've learned a lot. They are bringing an air compressor and nail gun and have offered to help assemble any hives that we may have gotten for xmas.

I went on CL and put in an ad looking for local beekeeping supplies (to avoid shipping costs) and got an email from a Beek about the Brushy mountain deal for December.

The start up costs seem steep but it is mostly a one time investment...once you have your hives you are done. You may want to see if you have any neighbors that may want to go in with you....you'd bee surprised!

My new neighbor has wanted bees forever and now she is psyched that I'm getting mine so she she can look over my shoulder. She also wants chickens but has never done it....now she's buying my eggs!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!

I'd love to know what you think of the liquid smoke after you try it. It sounds so appealing - but I am surrounded by burnables here....... :D

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I order from them too, although I haven't gotten a new catalog yet? They had a big sale back in Sept and I just missed it. :p

I'm going to do a split on the one hive I have right now (if they come thru winter strong enough). I need to order components for 2 or 3 more hives. That's a lot of weight, so the free shipping will come in handy!!

Good luck with your new bees, Lori. You will fall in love with them, I guarantee it! :love

@Deb, I am allergic to wasps and mildly allergic to bees. If it's bad enough you can even get sting therapy to desensitize you to the venom. I always take a regular dose of benadryl before I go out to work mine. Then if I do get stung, I am careful to scrape the stinger away properly and take some more benadryl when I get back to the house. My doctor said I can take up to 100 mg of benadryl at a time to knock back a reaction and so far this has worked great for me (and kept me out of the ER). I've got an Epi-pen if I do need it, but hope to never have to use the creepy thing. :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I got my order TODAY!!!

That was quick! :celebrate

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ooo, how exciting! I just happened to get approached last night by the lady who might put hives on my land this spring and share honey with me! She wants us to join a beek association and attend their meetings/learning sessions that take place weekly throughout the winter. I'm waiting on info as to when....of course, I think the meetings are on one of my late work nights. :/ Her dad had bees as a hobby and still has all the equipment, including a very nice extractor. Woohoo!

DH gets that grumpy look when I talk about it. Hopefully some of my mead will be drinkable and delicious by spring and he will change his dark clouds to sunshine.

Anyone know if chickens will eat bees? Should I be concerned about the girls snacking on the bees?

Latest posts