Bug out bags

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure their is thread somewhere on these. However, I'm in the middle of a huge storm and I'm going to ask anyway to distract myself. I am wanting to do bug out bags for the family. We have DH and I a two year old and a infant come august. Plus we have four dogs and one to two indoor cats. My main concern is a house fire. I already have a plan for the animals to get them out. Manly the little dogs are crated next to the door so as we get out grab them. Cats scream for them and if they don't show up pray that they make it. Not hunting for a cat in a burning house. Big dogs are in the basement right now. I have their area rigged that they can get out if I call them. Once kids room redone one will be in their room other in ours. Nobody steals my kids. I have backpacks for the two large dogs. I am thinking of putting the bags in the closet by our front door and a set in my car trunk. So what should I pack in the people and dog bags? I am just going to grab cheap backpacks for the people. Should I buy extra packs for the dogs?

My list so far:
water bottle
current med list
flashlight
leashes
change of clothes
diapers /wipes
snack
doll for my DD1
dog food
frist aid

What about these?
sleeping bag
handgun
ammo
Copies of important documents people and dogs
flash drives with all family pictures
cash

I get worried if someone would break in my car or steal it. We stop keeping a gun in the truck for that reason.

We have people we can stay with if the house burns or tornado takes it out.

What are your thoughts?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great resources I've found are:

http://www.equipped.org/72hourkit.htm
http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/getting-started/disasters-kit/

For our family, we have regular items we keep on our persons at all times (in my purse, in hub's pockets, in the kids backpacks/lockers at school) plus we have kits in our cars. In case we ever need to evacuate, we have a list of important things to grab (like photographs etc.) and all of our camping supplies stored near our back door.

We don't have dogs, but we have our cat carrier stored by the back door as well (in our laundry room) with a bit of carpet in the bottom, a jug of water, a bag of food, a harness/leash, and two bowls inside so we can just pop her in there and go. Our cat is really old and spends a lot of time sleeping these days, so she is easy to find and easy to get into her carrier.

Don't know if that helps, I've posted about our emergency preps in my journal before if you want to have a look there as well :)

Latest posts