Building a greenhouse out of recycled clear plasic bottles!

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi there!

I came across this information this morning as I was poking around on my laptop when I couldn't sleep.

I have been saving my clear plastic bottles for a while because I had an idea to build a cold frame out of them. This greenhouse is a lot more ambitious!

http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/reports/greenhouse v1.pdf

It was made as a school project in Scotland -- I can imagine all the mums having to save all those bottles.......!!

Hattie

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is awesome!!! I saved it for a future project. I wonder what will happen to that roof when it snows, though....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wow! I sent it to DH at school. Someone there might be able to use the idea. :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DH had a great idea. Contact the local school and offer a science teacher the basic supplies to build one for us....the school can collect the bottles as a "green recycling" project. We supply the budget for the frame and bamboo poles. Hmmmm! Brilliant!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
What a great idea! I love it, that is such a great way to re-use those stupid plastic bottles!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
DH had a great idea. Contact the local school and offer a science teacher the basic supplies to build one for us....the school can collect the bottles as a "green recycling" project. We supply the budget for the frame and bamboo poles. Hmmmm! Brilliant!
Absolutely brilliant!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I wonder if that is a Montessori school?

That is a fantastic idea to say the least!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!! Freemotion, I'll bet you would have to reinforce that roof for all of the snow.

VERY COOL!! I think I could do that myself!!!

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awesome idea! Where would we find the garden canes?