Building an Off Grid Earthship

offthegridbuild

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a piece of land in Taos, NM and am beginning construction on my off the grid home in April. I'm building the most recent version of a building called an Earthship. It will have rain water catchment, passive solar/geothermal heating and cooling, solar and possibly wind powered electricity and a gray/black water system. I am going to be documenting the entire process on the Web. I'm posting here because I imagine this could be a helpful resource for those thinking about building their own off the grid home. I'm very interested in being self sustainable and I want to raise some animals and have a small scale farm, so once the house is done I'll move on to documenting that as well.

I've been building Earthships with the Earthship Biotecture crew for the past couple of years so I'm going into this with a decent background, but I know it's going to be quite a journey nonetheless. So I hope you find this helpful. I'm also accepting volunteers that want to help build the house, so if you or anyone you know wants learn how to build their own just let me know!

Check it out at offthegridbuild.com
Dan

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Welcome Dan! :welcome I will be following your build because living off grid has been a dream of mine for quite some time. Good luck!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Welcome Dan! :welcome I will be following your build because living off grid has been a dream of mine for quite some time. Good luck!
Same here.

offthegridbuild

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you will be following. My intent is to help empower people and break down some barriers to entry to get started building their own off the grid home so the more the merrier!

I will try to keep posted to this forum as well. If anyone has any questions as I go along, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to help!

offthegridbuild

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
I want one! Where can I get more information?
The company is Earthship Biotecture and their Website is earthship.com. You can hire them to build all or part of your Earthship, or you can buy the books and build your own!

Latest posts