Building lamps, new project???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spent some time piecing together and wiring some hanging lanterns a few years ago. Very easy process. A bit of wiring and a light socket. I then used galvanized plant buckets with holes strategically pierced to allow the light to shine through. They turned out great. Nothing major but a fun project.

I'll have to find a picture somewhere.

Now I have found something else I would like to do. This is the link. I guess the only thing that concerns me is the glass getting hot. These pictured seem to even be pint size jars. I imagine the lids probably have holes for ventilation.

Tell me what you think. Oh, and don't for get to note the price they are charging. I almost choked.
http://www.napastyle.com/catalog/pr...jar+lighting&gclid=CM754YOFuJsCFShRagod5VJGAw

gina

Hey, no stealing my idea either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Nice light!
Someone gave me a mason jar with a short string of mini lights crammed inside and filled with colored potpourri. The ring kept the fine bridal netting taught over the top.
When plugged in it was a subdued light which released the potpourris fragrance. Great handmade gift and never ignited, BTW.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have jar lights in my barn, the kind you buy at Home Cheapo or Lowes. They are similar, but with a heavy-duty glass dome and can have a metal cage over them. It is common to use them in horse stalls so if the silly beast goes up and bonks their silly head on the light, they won't get electrocuted in the process or break the light. Will probably crack their skull instead!

Anyways, if you can get to a store that sells these, you could inspect them closely for ventilation. Mine are too high up and full of cobwebs for me to go look for you..... :p

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have jar lights in my barn, the kind you buy at Home Cheapo or Lowes. They are similar, but with a heavy-duty glass dome and can have a metal cage over them. It is common to use them in horse stalls so if the silly beast goes up and bonks their silly head on the light, they won't get electrocuted in the process or break the light. Will probably crack their skull instead!

Anyways, if you can get to a store that sells these, you could inspect them closely for ventilation. Mine are too high up and full of cobwebs for me to go look for you..... :p
We have them minus the metal cage, in the hay mow. Insurances require them here so the hay can't touch the hot bulb and start a fire.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. Just one more little project might try to squeeze into my schedule. :hide

Not that I don't have a ton to do already. I thought it might be a good way to use the Strong Shoulder Mason jars I picked up on Craig's list. They are just gorgeous and I think I could probably sell them. For a huge profit.

I'll work on it. I know I have a bunch of lamp parts around.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
CUTE! I'm so stealin' that idea! :D
Man, do you fit in here, BBH!!! :lol: That is usually MY line.....stealin' the ideas! :D

I just love the price! A fool and his money is my kind of customer! :)