Bully rooster?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suppose I should be putting this over on BYC - but I like you people better :lol:
So, the thing is, I have a small flock - 1 New Hampshire Red hen, 1 Silver Spangled Hamburg hen - both 2 1/2 years old, the remainder of my initial flock. And the new ones, all about 6 months old - 1 Barnevelder cockerel, 1 Barnevelder pullet, and 1 EE pullet.
The flock has a secure house and run, but not very large; the run is about 100 square feet. I usually let them free range over the property during the day. But not when we are away.
And we will be away, for two weeks, starting on Saturday.
But I have just noticed (yesterday) that the cockerel is, apparently, bullying the NHR. She has scabs on her (large and floppy) comb; she spends much of her time, when confined in the run, up on the branch that is in there, so that he can't get to her. I caught him today - he had chased her, she squatted for him, and he just stood there, waiting for her to move - he didn't try to mate, he just waited until she got up so that he could chase her. He pecks at her head/comb. He doesn't seem to be as aggressive towards the others - but 2 are his "sisters", and 1 (the SSH) is much smaller.
So, I think that it is a dominance issue - the NHR is the lead hen, and he is asserting himself over her. But now I am concerned that while we are away, and they won't have the luxery of free ranging, that he might actually do some harm. Do you think my fears are justified, and is there anything I can do about it in the next day? I don't have anywhere to put her while we are away; they have to stay together. I am fairly sure that time will solve the problem, but I am concerned about the 2 weeks that we are away.
I'm not exactly sure what I am asking - maybe just for reassurance that he won't peck her to death while I am gone. My neighbour girl will be caring for them while we are gone - and she is very good - but she can only come by once a day. And, as I say, it would be difficult/impossible to isolate the hen.
Any advice/good words?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had one little RIR roo, not a dominant rooster, that was seriously picking fight with the top hen. The second or third day of it there was a lot of blood.

My roo went to the freezer.

I know that's not what you want to do. I had way too many roos and he wasn't the best RIR roo I had so it was an easy culling choice.

Usually when I plan to slaughter one I put him in a smallish cage for a while. Sometimes I change my mind and release them again. Spending time "in jail" has served to rehab at least one of them who used to bully everyone from entering the coop. Maybe something like that could help his behavior? Or at least protect the hen while you are gone.

My cages are made of 2x3 wire and are small enough to be moved on and out of the coop, so the roo is safe at night.

Hope you find something that works for you.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yep, i think you had better either separate them or cull the rooster.

Your pen is small, but perhaps you could use a dog kennel and some chicken wire to make a small corner for the rooster while you are gone - that would give you some time to think about what to do. And I think Shiloh is right, could be a little time out will change things - but maybe not.

Funny how animal probs seem to come to a head at the worst times!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Just put him outside the pen to free range while you are gone. He is a problem anyway, soooooo, if something happens to him, it just happens but your hen will be safe. Then see how he acts when you return.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are right to be concerned. It will continue and if she gets injured, it could cause the other hens to turn on her too. He needs to be removed if you won't be there to watch over them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Same vote as above posters, here. Put him in a cage while you're gone (dog crate, or whatever), then think about whether you *really* want to keep him.

I would not separate the *hen* -- if she is near the top of the pecking order, that may cause all sorts of upsets when you reintroduce her.

I wonder whether he is not so much 'bullying' as simply being slow in figuring out the overall picture of the mechanics and purpose of mating... but still, at the very least you would want to supervise him closely and let him be outdoors all day every day (like, when you get back after your 2 wks away)

Personally I'd seriously consider freezer camp and replacement next year with a more congenial cockerel, perhaps several of them from whom you can select the one you most want to keep.

Good luck,

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we are having Rooster Day today.. no big whoop. consider it part of flock management.

unfortunately for that roo, the hens are more valuable so.. yikes!

if you are up for it what you'll see is how peaceful things will become. my Rooster Crew are like a gang of thugs.

not that an aggressive ***in the right way*** rooster is a bad thing. our Fred, rest his soul, was the best thing since sliced bread and we hated each other. but he took care of the hens - he didnt hurt them. however one of the other roos killed him. then we were left was rooster who really didnt cut the muster.

but

one of the younger roos, a black Australorp if in the lead to be the next lead rooster. if he stops crowding me, that is. he went after the neighbors barn cat like a pro.

anyway - you'll figure out what works best for you
;-)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to agree with the "peaceful" factor. I had around 20 of mine turn out to be roos. It was like WWIII out there. Now I am down to 4 and it is actually very peaceful. One of those has been chosen for the pot too though since I only need 1 buff orp.

Funny, I used to have 30+ roos in a flock of almost 100 and had zero trouble. Only two were full sized though, and 3 were banties I had on purpose. All the rest were banties hatched from a girl who used to hide her nests and show up with 15 chicks, most of them little roos. I managed to get rid of some but the were all generally wild. At least they didn't cause trouble with the other roos. In fact most of them flew into the woods to forage all day and only returned to roost in the trees.

But too many barnyard roos -- ugh. They upset everyone. Probably why my hens put off laying so long. :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"I wonder whether he is not so much 'bullying' as simply being slow in figuring out the overall picture of the mechanics and purpose of mating ..."

I'm pretty sure that this is what it is, just he chose a really bad time for it to be become a problem.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I won't be culling him, but will think about if and how I can separae him for the duration.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ahhhh, I just want to warn you - if you don't separate him out, it would be likely that you will return to a very injured or worse hen.

am thinking your pet sitter won't be there enough to supervise.

it can get out of hand pretty fast, and get pretty ugly.

I'm afraid your choice is to separate, or accept the probability that you will come home to a dead hen. If you weren't leaving town, you could afford to watch closely and wait, but even that would be a risk. just my experience speaking, here.