Burned applesauce on the bottom of the pan

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How do I get it off?

I was making an overly-large batch of applesauce, and did not realize a ring of it was burning on the bottom of the pan. I can't get it off! It's been two days. Scrubbing, soaking, boiling, soap, detergent, baking soda, vinegar, more scrubbing... I get color in the water but the burned bits don't seem to be moving.

Any ideas?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Steel wool soap pads (like SOS brand) is what I'd try next if the soaking, baking soda, vinegar treatments didn't work.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Black burned-on food in a stainless-steel pan can be permanent and you might have to use a grinder to get it off.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Have you tried "cooking" it off? Put a little water and baking soda in the bottom and let it simmer for a few. Kinda like deglazing a stew pot for gravy. Sometimes it works.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cascade or other commercial auto dishwasher detergent! I had a friend that clued me into this - I didn't believe it for years, until I tried it.

Just pour a bit into the pan with some hot water and let it set for a few hours or even overnight. Most of it should be floating the next day or will wipe right off.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sometimes a magic eraser will work to polish up the inside bottom of the pot after the cooked on stuff has been removed.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Spray it with EasyOff and let it sit over night. Rinse it in the morning. Yyou can do it to both inside and bottom and the container will look brand new when you are done, without all the struggle. I also agree with Cascade. Let it soak over night.
Hope this helps.
//bt//
Trim sends

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the easy off on stainless steel! it will ruin the finish and leave it nasty forever.. Hubs had to buy me a new pot due to that.. easy off is even worse on aluminum.
I bought stainless steel scrubbies at the dollar store and use them on my expensive stainless steel they are a wonder.
When I burn stuff on I often add more water and a bit of vinegar or baking soda and simmer for awhile.. My whoopsy tends to be tomato sauce. But I usually don't get rings. The thick aluminum plate on the bottom of my SS cookware spreads the heat pretty evenly and if I scorch it is usually all the way across.. (we need a hand on the forehead/or embarrassed smiley or a Doh' homer smiley!)

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't have any better suggestion about getting off the burned stuff - but I did discover that cooking applesauce, tomatoes, etc. in the oven prevents scorching to begin with. Fill up your big kettles and put them in a slow (250-300F) oven and the stuff will cook beautifully without burning. It's saved me several times....