1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Laugh(s) for the day and over 100k views for this thread can't be wrong. Keep them coming
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Burned applesauce on the bottom of the pan

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by DianeS, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Sep 20, 2011
    DianeS

DianeS Lovin' The Homestead

How do I get it off?

I was making an overly-large batch of applesauce, and did not realize a ring of it was burning on the bottom of the pan. I can't get it off! It's been two days. Scrubbing, soaking, boiling, soap, detergent, baking soda, vinegar, more scrubbing... I get color in the water but the burned bits don't seem to be moving.

Any ideas?

2. Sep 20, 2011
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

Steel wool soap pads (like SOS brand) is what I'd try next if the soaking, baking soda, vinegar treatments didn't work.

3. Sep 20, 2011
    Neko-chan

Neko-chan Lovin' The Homestead

4. Sep 20, 2011
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

Black burned-on food in a stainless-steel pan can be permanent and you might have to use a grinder to get it off.

5. Sep 20, 2011
    Damummis

Damummis Microfarmer

Have you tried "cooking" it off? Put a little water and baking soda in the bottom and let it simmer for a few. Kinda like deglazing a stew pot for gravy. Sometimes it works.

6. Sep 20, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Almost Self-Reliant

Cascade or other commercial auto dishwasher detergent! I had a friend that clued me into this - I didn't believe it for years, until I tried it.

Just pour a bit into the pan with some hot water and let it set for a few hours or even overnight. Most of it should be floating the next day or will wipe right off.

7. Sep 20, 2011
    keljonma

keljonma Epicurean Goddess

Sometimes a magic eraser will work to polish up the inside bottom of the pot after the cooked on stuff has been removed.

8. Sep 20, 2011
    Icu4dzs

Icu4dzs Almost Self-Reliant

Spray it with EasyOff and let it sit over night. Rinse it in the morning. Yyou can do it to both inside and bottom and the container will look brand new when you are done, without all the struggle. I also agree with Cascade. Let it soak over night.
    Hope this helps.
    //bt//
    Trim sends

9. Sep 21, 2011
    Emerald

Emerald Lovin' The Homestead

I have to disagree with the easy off on stainless steel! it will ruin the finish and leave it nasty forever.. Hubs had to buy me a new pot due to that.. easy off is even worse on aluminum.
    I bought stainless steel scrubbies at the dollar store and use them on my expensive stainless steel they are a wonder.
    When I burn stuff on I often add more water and a bit of vinegar or baking soda and simmer for awhile.. My whoopsy tends to be tomato sauce. But I usually don't get rings. The thick aluminum plate on the bottom of my SS cookware spreads the heat pretty evenly and if I scorch it is usually all the way across.. (we need a hand on the forehead/or embarrassed smiley or a Doh' homer smiley!)

10. Sep 21, 2011
    Bourbon Red

Bourbon Red Power Conserver

I don't have any better suggestion about getting off the burned stuff - but I did discover that cooking applesauce, tomatoes, etc. in the oven prevents scorching to begin with. Fill up your big kettles and put them in a slow (250-300F) oven and the stuff will cook beautifully without burning. It's saved me several times....