Butter me up!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so I have been separating the cream from the goats milk...I have just over a quart....and I am wanting to make butter. I have a butter churn, in the barn...ceramic with a wooden spool thingy in it that you pump up and down. OK, so...I need to clean it really well before I use it. Whats the best way to clean the wooden part?? Vinegar scrub? I don't want the butter to taste like pickles..LOL
Also, how much butter does one get from say..a gallon of cream? ( that's my goal) And, do I have to add salt? If so, how much? Can I freeze the butter if it makes too much? Or how long will it last in the fridge? Heck, I don't even know if we will like it. LOL I just need a little bit of advice. My girl has great thick white cream...and I want to put it to good use. :p

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, fun! I would probably use the vinegar scrub on the wood, but I understand worrying about a funky taste.

I just got raw goat's milk through a herd share. How do you separate out the cream? What are you doing with the remaining skimmed milk?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd try a strong bleach solution---something like 1 T bleach per gallon. Then rinse 5-7 times with a small amount of clean water. The rinsing probably sounds excessive, but that's what chemists do.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but If you only have a qt of cream, you're probably better off shaking it in a jar.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i dont think you are a killjoy, k15n1, i was gonna say the same thing!

or just use your kitchenaide mixer with the wire whip attachment. beat beat beat at medium speed until it "breaks" - but stand close or you might throw buttermilk all over the kitchen when the solids separate!

:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Oh, fun! I would probably use the vinegar scrub on the wood, but I understand worrying about a funky taste.

I just got raw goat's milk through a herd share. How do you separate out the cream? What are you doing with the remaining skimmed milk?
AFter the milk had been sitting in the fridge a few days, you will find thick gloopy stuff at the top of the jar that kind of clumps out when you pour it. Well, before you pour it and try to mix it back in, scoop it out and put it in another container and then put it in the freezer. The rest of the milk will not be skim like from the store, but still quite rich. Just drink it. :)

I have about a quart too, and have been anning to make butter alos, but it will have to wait until I have more time. And thanks, OFG, I'm gonna use my kitchenaide. :) Never thought about doing it that way.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made butter with kids a bunch....always used a jar. never failed.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I am planning to save enough cream until I get at least a gallon. Shouldn't take too long. As for separating it...I let it sit in the fridge a few days, then with a piece of plastic tubing....I siphon the milk from the bottom. The milk usually goes into a pot, for cheese. I save some back for drinking or cooking. I just really wanted to try homemade butter....see if it is worth my time... :hu And them to have fresh buttermilk!?? What a plus! I can already taste the pancakes...with homemade elderberry syrup. :drool

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been using my food processor on the lowest setting. Made butter on Monday. It took 4 minutes to clump up! Took me much longer than that to work the excess water out of the butter. I have been disappointed that the cream I get doesn't produce much butter. I don't waste the left over "butter" milk tho. Since I don't let the cream sit out after it warms up to room temperature, the buttermilk is not sour. So I use it/drink it like regular milk. My supplier of raw milk said if I buy a quart of cream from her (she has a separator) I will get a much higher ratio of butter to cream. I'm thinking it over. At $10 per quart, it takes some thinking!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
TEN DOLLARS a quart?! Uh....that sounds pretty expensive..I personally would pass.