Butternut Squash Recipes

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have 50# or more of butternut squash to use or preserve. I have tried keeping butternut in my basement but it was the first winter squash to go soft. I'm hoping to find other ways to use it up. What's your favorite butternut recipe?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My butternuts produced like crazy in 2020. I canned some but, mostly put them in a slotted basket container, which I sat on the steps going to upstairs. Mine held up until late summer of 2021! May have been a little too much humidity, or too cold I your basement....you get some temps there! Rarely do I make things from them, shamefully! I like them baked or saute in butter. Hear soup is good! LOL not tried. But saved a lot of seed and will do more with them 2022. So...will be waiting for responses.

Odd that FEM suggests pigs -- who love them, by the way! -- because the two vines I had in 2020 garden gave me almost 150# of squash. But, those vines had sprouted in the old pig pen, from some thrown to them. Talk about recycling. Also had several tomato plants from same source. 😁

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Peel the squash , cube it up , put in a bowl cover with olive oil , I add cinnamon , nutmeg , all spice a pinch of brown sugar , or add sorghum with the oil, bake at 350 until soft , then enjoy !!!

Latest posts