Buy your goat meat at WalMart

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm adding this thread here -- some may have seen on BYH -- but, some don't visit both forums.

Wandering thru I happened to notice that they have "bone-in goat cubes" available. :D It may be a sign that this healthy meat will become more mainstream. Maybe? Just saying, not selection of cuts or anything but, a start. It was in frozen. $11.94 for a 2# bag.

Like lamb, a low fat, tasty option with a hefty price. Price is sure one reason these meats are NOT on most shopping lists and not knowing how to cook it, another. We will see the "eeewwww" factor, as with milk, and that is because "goat" is in the description, IMO.

Poor goats have been so comically maligned in most of USA that most think only about a stinky buck. If you asked the average shopper what the most eaten red meat is, worldwide, goat would NOT come up. Same with goat milk. Their loss :rolleyes:

Anyone else seen this meat made available near you? I don't have a Whole Foods near me but, these are chain types where I have seen the diversity. Any thoughts? USA sure imports thousands of tons of goat & lamb!! You'd think our farmers would step up.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You'd think our farmers would step up.
You would think!

I am glad to see it on a commercial scale, but would wonder about the quality. I would be tempted to give it a try just because I'm curious. But, I do believe that homegrown everything is best so.....

I sell a lot of goats to the Hispanic population here. So I around here it would probably be more desired by ethnic groups. My question is it too pricey? :hu I don't even know if it's sold here - I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm there.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah that's cheap for goat (or lamb) here. I see lamb for $9/lb and goat for $10, on the rare occasion I see it. Never at Walmart. I wouldn't buy it from Walmart anyway.

Goats are not big in NH, especially for meat. Sheep are big here so a lot of people eat lamb . Only in the southern part of the state do many people eat goat,more of a cultural thing I think.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I thought it sounded expensive, but then I'm used to our meat prices. No goat for sale here that I've seen so far, no. But I may find some if I look carefully in Aldi's freezers. Found kangaroo steaks there once o_O I haven't had goat meat yet and I am very curious about it. I hear it's nice, so I can see it hopefully taking off once people are over the eeewww factor.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sure it is a regional option. I have asked about lamb here in SC, and get google eyed looks. :idunno