Buying a used tractor - what to look for?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
My lawn man has a zero radius mower that he cuts in with but for the big jobs he has a 6 gang mower. Remember the old Reel tyse mow
ers that were pished by hand? He has taken o bunch of them and converted to pull mowers [recycle right?] and rigged so they overlap when pulled, He goes slow so the grass in clipped rather than chopped and since each cutting head is independent it fioats over the land. He has contracts for all the playing fields in town and cuts the fair ways for 3 golf cources [I don't know how they cut the greens] He is working on a second rig for his son.
Reel mowers are great if you mow regularly. My wife and I have full-time jobs, so the grass gets too long in the spring because we can't mom every 3 days! Anyway, it's a fun idea, but I think turf grass gets to be too much of a project.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
~gd said:
My lawn man has a zero radius mower that he cuts in with but for the big jobs he has a 6 gang mower. Remember the old Reel tyse mow
ers that were pished by hand? He has taken o bunch of them and converted to pull mowers [recycle right?] and rigged so they overlap when pulled, He goes slow so the grass in clipped rather than chopped and since each cutting head is independent it fioats over the land. He has contracts for all the playing fields in town and cuts the fair ways for 3 golf cources [I don't know how they cut the greens] He is working on a second rig for his son.
Reel mowers are great if you mow regularly. My wife and I have full-time jobs, so the grass gets too long in the spring because we can't mom every 3 days! Anyway, it's a fun idea, but I think turf grass gets to be too much of a project.
I understand. I have told my lawn guy to only use the zero radius rig for me. but even with just that he can cut the grass faster than I can find my check book and write his check. When he started to land all these big jobs I thought I would lose him today he told me that a 3rd rig {smaller) for his daughter. He and his son will do all the big jobs while the daughter handles the subdivisions and places where kids leave their toys in the yard etc. It has some type of system that keeps out small objects instead of picking them up and throwing them. Pine cones are a problem here. He is talking of sending his kids to college since they can raise enough with summer mowing to cover expences and they won't be fighting to work when the 'winter' comes.

Latest posts