By request ... How I process my turkeys - WARNING FOWL pictures!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am going to try and start this thread even though I do not have all of the pictures ready as of yet. I was asked by a few of you to post some pictures of my recent turkey processing. A picture IS worth a million words when you are trying to learn a skill so here it goes.

-------------------- WAIT! ------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking the other day and realized that this is a very graphic tutorial that has pictures of dead animals in it. It may be too disturbing for this forum. I have decided to therefore remove the offensive content and graphic pictures before it possibly offends someone.

I am keeping the information AND the pictures. I am just posting it to my personal homesteading website. If you are interested in this subject please come to http://www.uBuilderPlans.com and check out my How to Lessons section! The information will be posted there for your easy access.

Thanks and sorry if I offended anyone.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farm, excellent pictorial!!! Love your setup! Nice clean birds....makes me hungry to even look at them.

Will you get in trouble with the city if someone sees you butchering?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great pics! You needed to get hubby out there to get the pics while you were busy doing the deed! I can almost smell the roasted turkey....yummmm.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are my hero!!!! Thank you so much. It is so great to see the process step by step. No matter how many You Tube videos I watch seeing it like this helps so much. I like the set up with the tubs, trash can etc. I found a stainless sink on CL a couple weeks ago. I told dh it was for washing my veggies before they came in the house. But I now know what it will really be used for. :D

Just a couple of questions.
How do you know your hot bath is 160deg. Do you take the temp or just guess-timate?

And the icing down. Will ice chest with water work? And if so for how long?

Oh, I need to get some poultry sheers, any suggestions on those.

Now basically for chickens its the same set up and actions just smaller bird?

g

PS, Thank yo again for stopping so many times to take these pictures. I hate to be such a pain!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Great pics and excellent use of the double wash tub!! I also think its cool that you're in the city, yet still able to do this...awesome!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Great pics! You needed to get hubby out there to get the pics while you were busy doing the deed!
It was 95 degrees outside.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This may be stupid but I never understood what dressed weight meant. Also, what do you do with the blood?

Do you know what the weight of the turkey was when it was alive? I have been toying with the idea of doing a few turkeys but it would have to be the broad breasted that are gone before winter. I also would only want to grow them so they end up being around 20 pounds when going into the oven.