CA drought

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been a topic of conversation here, but the drought in CA is going to affect everyone. It is the worst drought in recorded history. Since half of all US grown fruits, nuts, and veggies come from CA, including 80-100% of many types of crops, the drought will affect produce prices and availability everywhere. Almonds, asparagus, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens, olives, raisins, the list goes on and on, almost all of these come exclusively from CA. 95% of canned tomato products from ketchup to pasta sauce to tomato paste come from CA grown tomatoes.

So stock up, get that garden in! It will be a lot easier for those who can grow their own produce.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Add to that the severe winter and the effect that has had on beef, and things can get really expensive this year.

Sprinkler Buddy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned this, I was just talking to one of my customers about CA drought today and how many of the fruits and vegetables are going to be even more expensive here very soon. Hope the drought ends soon! The images in the news blows my mind, the many lakes and reservoirs with boat docks sitting on dry land.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I would love to send them some of this rain and snow we've been getting all winter long.

mythreesons

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I read about this..it sure is scary! Anybody that has their own land or family that owns their own land should plant anything edible that they can..if you don't own any land you can container garden..even grow fruit trees in large containers..the more self sufficient the better off you and your family will be in the long run..Also there will be a market for the said foods in the article..if you can grow it in your zone it could provide you with a some income at your local Farmers Market..I was thinking of selling peaches & free range eggs right from my property.I live where my road is a direct route to a main road where we get lots of traffic..maybe you could do the same?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Buying food now and storing it would definitely be an investment in your food security future. Stock up on rice, beans, sugar, ACV, pasta and things like that, that will store for a long time. The price has nowhere to go but up. The cattle herd is at it's lowest point since the 1950's, at 88 million. That's 88 million cattle for 350 million people. Got room for a few cows? Milk cow? Goats, sheep or other small livestock? Get moving now before the shortages kick in.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
for those of us that can, time for our own personal "victory garden"

Latest posts