Cabbage recipes?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Making cabbage rolls yesterday left me with a hankerin' for fried cabbage (which I will indulge tomorrow, with the inside parts of the cabbage head with leaves too small for stuffing) but also made me realize that my entire cabbage repertoire is limited to these two things, plus coleslaw, plus "put some shreds of cabbage into fried rice or fried noodles or a fritatta or any other leftovers-using sort of mess".

(e.t.a. - oh, also twice-cooked pork, a chinese thing with cabbage and pork and tofu, mmmm)

So who has some good cabbage recipes to share, being as 'tis the season? :)

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have been making this for over 20 years.... always good, very versatile, and can be adjusted to feed 4 or a small army of 45. The original recipe feeds 12 very hungry people. But, cut the veg numbers down and put a pork roast in and you've got Sunday dinner, or invite the extended family and friends for a celebratory dinner without much work, once it is in the oven. The recipe calls for smoked meats, but we found most pork meats are delicious here.

Choucroute Garni

6# bagged sauerkraut
3 c chopped onions
2 c chopped carrots
1/2# chopped bacon
3 c peeled & chopped Granny Smith apples
1 T caraway seeds
2 bottles of sparkling cider OR 2 qts broth OR half of each
4-5# assorted smoked meats & sausages
Bouquet garni consisting of:
a handful of parsley
2 bay leaves
12 peppercorns
20 crushed juniper berries

Soak the sauerkraut in cold water for 30 mins. Drain thoroughly and squeeze excess water out. Set aside.

Tie up the bouquet garni ingredients in cheesecloth or place in a tea ball. Set aside.

In a large Dutch oven or large oven-proof roaster pan place the bacon over medium heat for a couple of minutes to render the fat. Add the onions and saut for about 5 mins or until wilted. Add the carrots and cook a few more mins. Add the apples, then the sauerkraut, caraway seeds and cider or stock. Bury the bouquet garni in the sauerkraut. Bring the dish to a boil on top of the stove, cover and place in pre-heated 325F oven for 3 1/2 - 4 hrs or until much of the liquid has evaporated.

Remove from oven and bury the sausages and meats throughout the sauerkraut mixture. Recover the pot and return to the oven for 1 1/2 - 3 hrs. Check the sausages the last 1/2 hr of cooking and if they are not brown enough or if there is still a lot of liquid left in the dish, uncover it and turn the heat up to 375F for 1/2 hour.

Longer cooking will not hurt this dish and it reheats beautifully if you want to prepare it a day or two ahead and refrigerate it. Serve with a variety of crusty breads and spicy mustards. Salad optional.

MY VARIATIONS:
-can use reduced-sodium bacon or turkey bacon plus/1 T olive oil for cooking the veggies in
-can add 4 whole cloves to bouquet garni
-instead of serving with boiled potatoes, add cut up raw potatoes with carrots
-I've used Granny Smith's but they aren't my favorite apple, so I've used Jonathon or Melrose or any of the Delicious apples instead
-I usually use half sparkling cider and half veggie stock
-I put the meats into the sauerkraut before the pot goes into the oven and just let it cook for 3 1/2 hours
-Meats I've used in this recipe are: pork loin, bratwurst, knockwurst, pork chops (smoked and raw), kielbasa, smoked sausage, smoked ham, German-style franks. Once I even used Ball Park Franks in a pinch. Put what you like best, it's all good.

NOTE: I don't worry so much about the amount of broth left in the pot. Just don't let it all cook away to nothing, leave a little. (I like sauerkraut soup, which is what you have with broth, sauerkraut and veggies.)

edited for spelling

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Green Pepper and Cabbage

2 t. oil
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium head cabbage, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small onion chopped
1 pint tomatoes, drained or 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 t sugar
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Heat the oil, mix the ingredients in it, cover and bake at 350F until veggies are tender - about 40 minutes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Cabbage Soup

3 1/2 quarts water
3-4 cups potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 lb piece of smoked, unprocessed ham
2 lbs cabbage, cored and roughly sliced
8 peppercorns, crushed
6 sprigs parsley tied with 1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp thyme
4 cloves garlic, mashed or pressed
2 medium onions, studded with 2 cloves
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 cups navy beans, cooked or canned

Place water, potatoes and meat in large soup pot and bring to boil. Add the cabbage and remaining ingredients (with the exception of the navy beans) and simmer, partially covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Discard parsley. Remove meat from the pan, slice it into serving pieces and return to the pot. Add navy beans and continue simmering 10-15 minutes. Skim off accumulated fat and adjust seasoning. Serve with toasted French bread slices. 8 servings.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Bubble and Squeak

Serves 8

4-5 large all-purpose potatoes (4 pounds), peeled and quartered
Salt to taste
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 medium head green cabbage (2 pounds), halved, cored, and thinly shredded
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon finely snipped chives or 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

In a large saucepan, place the potatoes and pour in enough cold water to cover. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain well and puree in a food mill or potato ricer or pass through a fine-mesh sieve. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a large skillet, heat half the oil. Add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the cabbage is tender and most of the moisture has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly in the skillet.

Add the cabbage, egg, chives or scallions, and salt and pepper to the potatoes. Mix well to blend and divide into 16 equal portions. Use your dampened hands to form thick patties.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining oil. Add the patties and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown on both sides, 7-10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper before serving.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Colcannon

Serves 4-6

3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup water
6 cooked potatoes, mashed
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place cabbage, onion, and water in a saucepan or Dutch oven and quickly bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 8 minutes until tender. Do not overcook.

Add mashed potatoes, milk, butter or margarine, salt, and pepper. Mix well, stirring often until heated through.

Colcannon is served warm as a side dish, but can be served as a main meal.

Notes: if you use them, 4 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes prepared according to directions on package can be substituted for potatoes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Red Cabbage Casserole

Serves 4 - 6

1 red cabbage, about 2 pounds, cored and shredded
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 T oil
2 T lemon juice
Salt and pepper
A little sugar

Put the cabbage into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Drain thoroughly.

Meanwhile, saut the onion in the oil in a large saucepan for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, cover and cook for gently for 45 to 60 minutes, until the cabbage is very tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar to taste.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Cabbage Chow Chow

2 quarts shredded cabbage (about one medium head)
1/2 cup sweet onions chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped green or red bell peppers (optional)
2 Tablespoons salt

Combine chopped vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator. Drain well.

Combine the following ingredients and simmer 10 minutes. Use a pot large enough to put the vegetable mix in later.

2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons celery seeds
2 teaspoons mustard seed

Add vegetables to vinegar-sugar-spice mixture and simmer another 10 minutes. Bring to a boil. Then pack, boiling hot, into clean, heated canning jars, leaving only a 1/8 inch head space.

Water bath process for 10 minutes at or below 1000 ft. Consult canning guide above 1000 ft.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hearty Sausage & Kale Soup

Serves 4 - 6

1 # Italian sweet sausage links
1 T olive oil
3/4 c to 1 c chopped onion
2 -3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 - 4 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 - 2 quarts veggie stock
2 c shredded kale leaves

Preheat oven to 300F. Place links on cookie sheet lined with foil and bake for about 25 minutes or until completely cooked. Cut into half lengthwise and then into 1/2" pieces. Set aside.

Heat the oil in stockpot over med heat. Add onions and saut until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saut about 1 min. Add the stock and potatoes.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Add sausage and kale and simmer for about 1/2 hr longer, covered.

NOTE: I have used shredded cabbage in place of kale in this soup.