Cackling Ranch - A journal of things and stuff.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those of you that know me, you know I'm not one of many words. This is for those of you that don't.

I'm a retail store manager, and have worked very hard to get here. My husband and I raise La Mancha, Nigerian Dwarf, and Mini Mancha dairy goats. We show actively and occasionally make soaps from our girls. Mostly, though, we feed it back to the critters... we have lots of critters.

Backing up a step:

I was born and raised on a poultry farm. We raised exotics, think Emu... I had an entertaining childhood full of adventure in deep east Texas. When the Emu 'fad' blew up in the early 90's, so did my families business. Although the Emu went south the chickens, pheasant, chukar, and quail did not. In 2010 I took over the family 'business' of sorts. I had my ups and downs, and eventually 'sold out' to follow a different dream in 2013. I moved to another city with my (at the time) two best horses for work. When my Husband moved back in 2014, we moved back to the Houston area. I refound my love of poultry and imported several exotics. We had a menagerie of livestock, over 1000 birds, horses, you name it. Life happened and we downsized, keeping only a select amount of goats and 3 of our horses. We eventually picked up and sold some pigs, time just wasn't in our favor keeping them fed for the table, and finally settled back into a normal life.

Present day we have around 30ish goats, 3 (soon to be 2) horses, a bajillion dogs and cats, and a handful of chickens. We own on a small property in East Texas and are in the process of moving back to South Texas for my husband's job. I'm an active photographer, and have a photography business on the side.... I know, I'm crazy. I run three businesses! I never rest, hardly eat, and can sleep when I'm dead.

Here's a few of our loved ones! In no particular order. I could fill up pages with pictures.... but that will come.

My sweet Maya, who is coming to the end of her old age.
Maya.jpg

The rotten, the spoiled, the lovely Miss Anna.
Annainsaddle.jpg

The sweetest old man ever, Titan. Titan just turned 17 and is going on 'strong!' He's a lover and think's all babies are his. ALL BABIES.
DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0691.JPG

Blue and Sugar, our retired Hog Dogs.
DSC_0007.JPG

The destructive, the mighty, my heart and joy Beau.
1029201603.jpg

Some of our goats: Ruby and Junebug
Cackling Ranch THT Rubicon1.jpg

HARLEQUIN B JUNEBUG.png

The love of my life, this mare has been through so much of my life. We've traveled all over this great country together. She's retired now, living the high life in my pasture. "Mama". Mama is a Northern Mustang, she comes from the same region as the famous 'Cloud' stallion. I've had her since I was 14 years old, and will have her until she takes her dying breath.

Mama.jpg

And, just for fun, an Osprey.

08121616.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! :frow Your pics are amazing!

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whooo! Welcome over here! Can't wait to watch what is in store for y'all.! Any garden plans for this year or are you holding off due to the impending move?

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks @sumi I really enjoy it.

@samssimonsays I'm doing a garden in pots this year. In case The move is sooner than later. We have 7 tomato plants, 14 different peppers, and an assortment of herbs. I get squash and cucumbers from the hay guy.

Ferguson K

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If this rain doesn't stop soon I'm going to need to build a raft to get around with. After the drought in 2011 and the near drought in 2014 I will never complain about to much rain... however I do have things I need to get done around the yard that I simply can not do if it is raining every time I'm off!! The pretty days only seem to exist when I'm working.

The rain is taking its toll on the goats, too. If this rain doesn't let up neither will the parasites and my pasture is saturated. The goats look pathetic. I have had to dry almost all of my milkers up so my milk supply is dwindling. Good thing the kids are weaned and I don't have any bottle kids.

Even the garden is starting to not like the amount of rain. Blight has started among the tomatoes. If it stops tomorrow a little, I need to move some of them to bigger pots.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Constant rain... is just ... ugh! It literally starts to 'get ya' mentally. At least it does me.. I NEED sunshine! The goats need sunshine! The garden needs sunshine! This too will pass and by July we'll wish we had some rain... maybe.

Latest posts