Califlower

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone here have sucesss growing califlower? I think one year out of all the years gardening I had a successful row of califlower. I can grow nice tall healthy looking plants, well in excesse of 3' tall and so much growth that i have to stake and tie them to keep them from falling over. But only to be disappointed by small baseball sized heads. I've tried many different varieties, storebought seedlings and started my own seedlings indoors all have the same kind of results.

Cabbages, Collards, Broccoli, Brussels - no problem... heck I can ever grow cabbages all summer long, buy cutting the main head when it's ready leaving some leafs on the stem and 5 to 7 little cabbages grow around the stem and are ready for harvest come fall.

but califlower that's another story, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Mark Twain said "Cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education." I guess I'm just not educated enough :(

If you can grow califlower, please share your secrets.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't say that I've had success with cauliflower. I avoid brassicas b/c of the worms... BUT, this is the year I'm gonna buy some Dipel and use it.

Cauliflower is even more sensitive than cabbage to nutrient and moisture levels, and any thing which checks it's growth in the seedling phase. I believe that if you start your seedlings and get them into the ground before they outgrow their pots, you will stand the best chance of getting good heads. Added to that: buying seedlings IMO is the most likely way to fail with cauliflower, unless you get very young seedlings, at the opportune time, and can get them planted right away.

1. start with young well grown seedlings

2. provide optimum moisture and nutrients. Don't allow them to get parched.

3. get them into the ground when temps are optimal. (you'll need to do a bit of research re: this)

4. MULCH!!! This will help to hold moisture in the soil, and keep them from drying out. A good mulch will also provide some "compost tea" every time the plants get watered.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cauliflower is very vulnerable to temperature changes. It will "button" (make little tiny heads) if it gets exposed to cold, it will bolt if exposed to heat. It needs pretty constant temps of 60-65 with plenty of food and water to make those gorgeous heads. I was able to grow 2 pound heads fairly regularly when I lived near San Jose Calif, but here in the Oregon mountains I haven't been successful yet. I'm trying a new variety called "Rober" which Baker Creek touted as being more resistant to temperature changes, so we shall see.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a pkg of seed...am going to try it but, this is not encouraging to read. :D AND -- I wanted to do the purple & yellow but, wow, maybe I don't. Then again -- they may not be so sensitive :idunno I'm a sucker -- gonna try them!:cool:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You've already bought the seed, you've nothing to loose as long as you can spare the space in your garden. I suggest you do a bit of googling about how to grow cauliflower. Report your findings back here, and link your sources so we can all learn!

A good place to start: your county Agricultural extension office might have some resources specific to your growing zone.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cauliflower is very vulnerable to temperature changes. It will "button" (make little tiny heads) if it gets exposed to cold, it will bolt if exposed to heat. It needs pretty constant temps of 60-65 with plenty of food and water to make those gorgeous heads. I was able to grow 2 pound heads fairly regularly when I lived near San Jose Calif, but here in the Oregon mountains I haven't been successful yet. I'm trying a new variety called "Rober" which Baker Creek touted as being more resistant to temperature changes, so we shall see.

That could be part of my problem...

I know they need lots of water. My spring/fall garden gets the afternoon and evening sun. And even though I planted them in the very last row on the low end of the garden north side. I could almost bet that, there is to much of a temperature swing during the afternoon & evening.

I think I'll try planting in the very last row of my summer garden low end north side. It stays plenty wet on that end and it gets the morning and afternoon sun only, it is the first to be shaded in the afternoon when it's warmest during the day.

Worth a try...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here are two sites...longish, but read for yourself :D They appear to be temperamental, as well as heavy feeders. If you own goats you should be used to all that :lol: I'm gonna plant them...otherwise I'll waste my 5 cent pkg of seed.:idunno

Cabbage and Cauliflower

Plant near: broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, chard, spinach, tomatoes.
Keep away from: strawberries
Comments: tomatoes and celery repel cabbage worms.

https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/learning/plant/cauliflower

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/cauliflower/headless-cauliflower.htm

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here are two sites...longish, but read for yourself :D They appear to be temperamental, as well as heavy feeders. If you own goats you should be used to all that :lol: I'm gonna plant them...otherwise I'll waste my 5 cent pkg of seed.:idunno

Cabbage and Cauliflower

Plant near: broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, chard, spinach, tomatoes.
Keep away from: strawberries
Comments: tomatoes and celery repel cabbage worms.

https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/learning/plant/cauliflower

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/cauliflower/headless-cauliflower.htm

@Mini Horses

Thank You! The UK article seems like the best I've read so far. That is if you can work around the strange use of english.

"It will all depend on the weather of course but on a hot day you will need to water twice a day, if it's it's dull every 2 days will be fine."

What does this "dull" mean? I though dull meant not shinny. Maybe this "dull" means overcast (not sunny)???

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's the deal -- I have the seeds and will plant. Not a huge problem if they don't do great. Can buy the few I'd eat. :idunno

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, beans, squashes, peas, all far more desired and ones I'd be concerned if they don't do well. :) My greens do well normally, like lots of those. I would love to have my beets, carrots & sweet potatoes come on strong. Sometimes they do, other yrs, not so much.

This year I hope to establish an asparagus bed & garlic.