Calling all geniuses...

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Usually people post great things that they have made/found, etc. I have kind of the opposite problem...I need someone to come up with an idea for me.
I have two lamps bought several years ago at Walmart. http://achievetruyou.biz/floor-lamps-walmart-10/ is the link to a picture of them.

They are floor length with 6 "arms" on them that have small "flame" type bulbs on them. There are "shades" for each bulb, made out of plastic. Well, it wasn't long before the plastic became brittle and basically fell off. So now I have two nice, working floor lamps with bare bulbs. They look horrible. I switched to fluorescent bulbs primarily to keep the heat down, but it was too late for the plastic.

Anyway, I was hoping to come up with some kind of replacement shade. Plastic is out, of course. I don't know if they make cheap lampshades that are that small. I even considered making a funnel shape out of tinfoil, but I don't think it would make a good substitute.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? Suggestions? I would hate to toss them just because they look stupid.
Thanks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is the measurement where the lampshades fit into the lamp fixture? Measure across, not around. Did they screw in or were they held in place by set screws?

Funnel shape? Too bad funnels are such soft plastic. Maybe you could find something in Pier 21 or other stores along those lines that have all kinds of things.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd make shades out of thin rawhide, but I have a roll of hide here to use and I like the look. Can get paper that looks like leather for a cheaper version if heat isn't an issue

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, I just stopped here to see what the smart people had to say. Nothing I can do to help.

Anyway, have you considered colorful bottles. I am picturing a blue, red, etc. big wine bottle with the smaller end cut enough to fit over the socket and the larger end cut at an attractive angle for the shade.

As a matter of fact, I bet you could do much the same thing (a lot easier) with plastic bottles covered -- inside and out -- with a decoupage of paper in an attractive design outside (I'd like something with pressed flowers and fern fronds, myself). Heat should not be an issue with the newer low energy bulbs available.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can remember making papier mache lampshades, back in the 60's (yes, I remember them, lol) using small balloons covered with vaseline and then layering toilet paper and diluted Elmer's glue, finishing up with decorative cut-outs from colored tissue paper. When they were thick enough to hold their shape, you popped the balloon and pulled it out, then trimmed the opening to fit and stiffening it with a bit of cardboard. With the fluorescent lamps I don't think it would get hot enough to be a hazard although it would be a good idea to check every hour or so at first until you felt comfortable with it.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I knew you guys would have great ideas! All of them have possibilities. But my brain just wasn't working when I kept looking at the things. Thanks so much!!
I'll post a picture when I get them done. I might even make the two lamps with separate style shades. :)