Calling all goat people! Advice needed..icky pic!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so most of you know I rescued a pair of Pygmys. The little doe I think is preggers. Her sides are bulging, and she has a small milk bag, about the size of an apple. I have her seperate from the buck because he has been runing her ragged. So, today I was out there, and she was rubbing her sides along the fence. So I thought..Hmmm, maybe she is NOT preggers, but in season! The little guy was smelling, and doing the lip curl thing...( so cute by the way) Anyways...she turned away from me...and I saw her little hoohoo. I nevr noticed it looking like this until today. I have not seen a discharge...and she is eating well...so, preggers and ready to kid?? Or in season? :/
99_pebbles_hoohoo1april10.jpg

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Doesn't look in season to me. Could be wrong though. She looks ready to kid. The easiest way to tell if she is close to kidding is to feel the side of the base of her tail. If you can feel the ligaments tight then she is not close, if they feel mooshy or you can't feel them at all then she is close. It is really hard to do though if you don't have one to compare to to feel where the ligaments are. I would keep an eye on her though incase she kids.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never felt ligaments before...never had a reason to. LOL However, I have heard alot about it, so today..I felt...and felt..and all I can feel is..squishy...sunken in. ? :idunno

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
my 4H neighbor kids say that its about time if you can kind of use your fingers to feel around the base of her tail...and you can or can almost touch fingers. its really weird.

also she might be throwing her head about, 'talking' to her sides in a voice you may have never heard before, and laying full out all the way down on her side (not curled up cutely).

good luck!

but just so's ya know... my goaties hoo-hoo looked kinda weird for a couple days before. and little nibble's looks kinda weird from time to time.

but as they say - you'll know when you see it.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking...when I ran my fingers down her tail area...I could almost touch them together. Hmmm, I guess tomorrow I better get that chicken wire up around the bottom of her pen. I dont want any tiny little escapees! LOL Now Im excited...and scared! LOL

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you feel too far back then you will just feel around the tail. That(the private) area will get a little loose sometimes though even if she is not ready yet and that may be all it is. Has she been acting okay? If she was like that earlier and still hasn't kidded then I would think it was a false alarm, keep an eye on her tonight though just in case. The kids and nephews watched my doe kid twins last year while I was in the truck picking up dh. I was on the phone with the oldest and he was yelling saying "a foots out! Now both feet! There's it's head! It's black and white!!!!" That was really exciting for them to watch and I nearly cried because I missed it! We knew she was in labor though before I left. She was "slopped" (loose and discharging) and she had both in the 10 min. it took me to get dh from the end of the road.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go read up on kidding on www.fiascofarm.com and look up the article on ligaments. They will feel like a pair of pencils that run diagonally out from her spine, near her tail. They are pretty unmistakable. If you are not sure, go feel the buck. Then go back and feel the doe. If you can't find them at all, go boil water!!!! :lol: No, really, you should see kids within 12 hours. Unless your doe has not yet read any of the books and doesn't know she is supposed to kid in twelve hours, that is.

Woohoo! Post pics when they come!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Mya did a lot of stretching in strange ways, arching her back and pushing her body all to one side.....like she was doing Pilates or something! She also talked softly, but not to her sides, to no one in general and to me a bit, which was very unusual for her. She is normally a very silent goat.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Remeber the ligaments if she is not close will be hard almost like you are feeling a bone. Kinda feel around the whole area if your not sure.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So - do we have goat babies this morning?!

Latest posts