Calling all wood heaters

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know a bunch of you heat with wood, and I'm curious about all your chimneys. Do you use stainless or masonry? Was looking at the stainless chimneys, and they're more than I'd pay for the stove itself lol. Just wondering what cost effective ways you all came up with for your chimneys.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We have stainless steel chimneys--one for the wood stove, another alongside it for the fireplace insert. Everything was expensive, but even at the time (5 years ago), we figured they would have paid for themselves entirely--stoves, chimneys, masonry behind stove--in 10 years or less. And that was at 2003 LP prices...

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can also check some salvage places and websites like freecycle for stove pipe, that is how we got some. I would love a masonry chimney, but don't have one. If you call a place that teaches masonry you may be able to find an apprentice to do the job more cheaply.
We built our house and it has a block basement, wish we had just put up a brick fireplace then....
lin

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ours is masonry. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful cost-saving information for you, 'cause the whole set up was here when we bought the place. We have a very large furnace that is wood-burning (actually, you can burn most anything in it) with an oil back-up.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Here is our new stove. We just got it installed last week. I have ten foot ceilings so there is about 8 feet or so of single wall pipe, then the box going through the ceiling, attic space, and roof. Above the roof are two sections of triple wall (I think) stainless steel with a spark arrester. Each section of stainless was about $200 but it is worth it for peace of mind.

With a woodburning stove pipe chimneys, not masonry, are recommended for better and safer burning. Masonry chimneys can have problems with draft.

stove.jpg

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have a free standing wood stove with single wall pipe coming up from the stove into a masonary flew with flew liner inside of it. This masonary flew goes from the main level through the second floor, attic, and out through the roof. We have lived in this house for 12 years and have never had a problem with the flew.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I believe a flue liner is the same thing as a pipe chimney.

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We live in a double wide trailer, with a "normal house" roof. I believe they say we would need ALL triple wall stainless pipe.... big $$$$$$$$

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The new energy efficient woodstoves require chimney liners or stainless chimneys to be safe now...you can't just hook them up to a mason/tile chimney. Something to do with draft/heat going up the flu.