Calliopia _ Newbie Adventures in Self Sufficiency

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So I've been on a kick for about eh.. 4 years now with wanting to provide more of our own necessities. I've always been an avid, my husband would say rabid, recycler, reuser and collector of random objects.

I love cooking projects, gardening, farming and such.

My first experiments of this journal are from today and I started a jar of sauerkraut and made a jar of kombucha from a starter I got from a friend.

We get milk from the goats and eggs from the chickens.

My other current projects started before the journal are a yo-yo quilt made from quilting scraps. A wool rug from recycled sweaters. And home butchered pork and goat that I will be making sausage from.

Upcoming projects are planning the garden (our first in this house), setting up the greenhouse, planting berry patches and adding cherries to the orchard.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Another one from byh! :welcome

And we don't have to convince you to get goats! :lol:
:yuckyuck

Welcome.... from someone who really really wants goats but can't have them. Yet.

Calliopia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I live in the eastern panhandle of WV. We have a 5 br rancher on 1/2 an acre that is very carefully divided between us and another family that was having some issues so they came to live with us. We have 3 goats (hopefully more in 5 months) 15 chickens 4 dogs and 2 cats.

We have 6 apple/pear trees and plans for peach and cherry. We ripped out the pool when we lived here a couple years ago. (we bought the house in 2004 and then rented it out for the last 3 years while we lived somewhere else. Just moved back in this past September) Hence we have owned the house for almost 7 years and this is my first real garden here. My husband is totally on board with making it a backyard homestead. I simply couldn't do it without him.

On the spot where the pool was we want to put a greenhouse that we lucked into on craigslist. It was a 100ft long hoophouse and we picked it up for about 150.00. We divided it between 2 other families so I'll have about a 24 x 12 greenhouse for about 150-200 once we put new plastic on it. I think for the first year I'm just going to dump a couple truckloads of topsoil/manure on it (we're near a racetrack) and use it for just extending the growing season a bit.

A note on the kombucha project. This was the first time I've ever started a batch and the starter I got smells faboo! I made a batch of tea that was a combo of English breakfast and Green tea w/ Honey, lemon, ginseng. (that also smells pretty good) so I dumped it all together once the tea has cooled and we'll see how it goes. I used one of my goat milk strainer filters over the top and held it down with a canning jar ring. Hopefully that lets in enough air. I just didn't want particles of other stuff getting in and I'm out of real cheese cloth.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
RUN Henrietta23 RUN!!!! She eats GOATS!!!

:yuckyuck

Welcome!!!

first it was duck eggs, now its goat meat.... I gotta try this stuff....

What does goat taste like?

I dunno if I could eat my pet goat.... Yes I could....:p

Latest posts