CAn anyone suggest a 'natural' hair dye for brunettes?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some hair dye kits are more natural than others. Has anyone used one that maybe is 'chemical free' ? or have you a recipe for covering (very resistant) gray hair? tia
**After reading the beauty treatment posts here, I picked some of our rosemary and I made a rinse from it.**:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Funny you should mention hair dye, as I am going to go out on a limb this weekend and return to my natural color...which is now brunette, just a medium brown. I've been trying to cover my grey hair since my early 30's and had started with blond highlights to cover them. Over the years this progressed to more and more highlights as there was more and more grey. :rolleyes:

I have been taking a walk on the wild side the last few years~and by this I mean returning to a more natural state of living~and have wanted to stop the charade and be proud of my silver. My kids were reluctant for me to do this, as I am only 42 and they felt this was kind of young to be grey. So, I colored on.....to tell you the truth, I think some grey hair is quite attractive, especially on younger people. I wanted the chance to see if my gray was silver or drab.

This weekend I will color to brunette and as my grey fades in, I'm going to comb in brunette on more time over the grey, so there won't be a big demarcation between colors......then....no more dye!!!!!! :weee

Finally free to be who God meant me to be, free to age at my own pace, no lying by dyeing anymore! :woot

Didn't mean to steal your thread but I'm so excited about not putting anymore harsh chemicals on my head and hair! I've been easing out the makeup and hairspray, as well, over the past few years.

I tell you, gals, this turning into one's 40's is liberating! :D Anyone else out there moving away from the chemical "attractions"?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
This weekend I will color to brunette and as my grey fades in, I'm going to comb in brunette on more time over the grey, so there won't be a big demarcation between colors......then....no more dye!!!!!!
Good for you! :D People don't always look 20 yrs old, this society needs to DEAL WITH IT ;)

I don't color my hair despite significant amounts of grey in it for the last ten or fifteen years... but it's not a Statement, it's just that I totally don't see what's wrong with grey hair or maturity, and it is a lot easier just to leave the grey be <g>

(Thus, I am of no help regarding the actual topic of this thread, sorry :p)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope, I will never leave my hair dye or my makeup ever. I always want to put my best face forward and for me it is those 2 things that keep me kinda put together...just my opinion for me.

I don't mind doing either. Keeps me spruced up and yup, I am trying to stay on the younger side any way I can, or at least think I can. Going to be 48 in 2 months, going into the 50s is no thrill for me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Nope, I will never leave my hair dye or my makeup ever. I always want to put my best face forward and for me it is those 2 things that keep me kinda put together...just my opinion for me.

I don't mind doing either. Keeps me spruced up and yup, I am trying to stay on the younger side any way I can, or at least think I can. Going to be 48 in 2 months, going into the 50s is no thrill for me.
This has always been an interesting topic to me....at what age do most folks consider it is no longer appropriate (for lack of a better word) to still color one's hair? Everyone has been very discouraging to me for wanting to go grey....hey, I'm fat, ugly, never going to get married again and pretty okay with who I am...so who am I trying to impress here? They still get on to me when I tell them this! :p :lol: Now, I'm not going completely bohemian here, folks, I will always shave my legs daily and keep a neat and attractive appearance, but I just want to be free to be me for once. Now, I may not like "me" and go back to coloring, but I'd like to at least have that option. Do you realize, I can't find any hair coloring to go silver? None. Nada.

So...FarmerChick...will you still be coloring, say...into your 70s and 80s? Some of my aunts still do, actually a lot of ladies do. I don't know of any in their 90s who still do, but I'm sure they are out there. My aunt, who is 76, decided to stop and she looks so cute now! She has gotten so many complements on her hair since she stopped coloring! Funny how things go, isn't it?

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Funny you should mention hair dye, as I am going to go out on a limb this weekend and return to my natural color...which is now brunette, just a medium brown. I've been trying to cover my grey hair since my early 30's and had started with blond highlights to cover them. Over the years this progressed to more and more highlights as there was more and more grey. :rolleyes:

I have been taking a walk on the wild side the last few years~and by this I mean returning to a more natural state of living~and have wanted to stop the charade and be proud of my silver. My kids were reluctant for me to do this, as I am only 42 and they felt this was kind of young to be grey. So, I colored on.....to tell you the truth, I think some grey hair is quite attractive, especially on younger people. I wanted the chance to see if my gray was silver or drab.

This weekend I will color to brunette and as my grey fades in, I'm going to comb in brunette on more time over the grey, so there won't be a big demarcation between colors......then....no more dye!!!!!! :weee

Finally free to be who God meant me to be, free to age at my own pace, no lying by dyeing anymore! :woot

Didn't mean to steal your thread but I'm so excited about not putting anymore harsh chemicals on my head and hair! I've been easing out the makeup and hairspray, as well, over the past few years.

I tell you, gals, this turning into one's 40's is liberating! :D Anyone else out there moving away from the chemical "attractions"?
you might have more natural and gradual results by switching to a semi permanent dye, one that washes out after several weeks. At some point when your old dyed hair has grown out you can stop or do the combing as your thinking now. just dont continue with the permanent dye or you will always have the line. As a former hair dresser this is my best advice.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm joining Beekissed. Sadly I've had quite a few gray hairs since I was in my early 20's. For me, I just get too distracted to keep up on the hair coloring and then I end up with 2 inch roots that look worse than the gray did in the first place. Not to say I'll stick to it forever. We'll see. Luckily it's just hair and it'll eventually grow out no matter what I do.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
If someone is worried about growing it out, can't you get a color close to the grey and use that and then when it grows out it will be much closer to the regular color.

Having said that I have fun changing my hair color all the time. My hair is naturally blonde and I don't have any gray (yet) but I have fun with changing the colors, I have gone red, auburn, deep chocolate brown, and all of the above with some highlights to boot.
I have had my hair long, short and up to my chin short.
I think its fun, I love doing it.
Over the summer I let my hair fade back to my natural blonde shade, but then the sun made it too light, so 2 weeks ago I went in and colored it a reddish brown with blonde highlights and cut it to my chin.
Who knows what I will do next, I don't do it to look younger since most people have always taken me for younger than I am my whole life, I just like to change things up.
When I go to the hairdresser she will say to me, what do you want to do this time? I always say the same thing, whatever you think will look good. I trust her and don't ask what she is up to while she is doing it.
She cut my hair to my chin and I never flinched, she was like I wish all of my customers would trust me this much. Its so much fun to try new styles and its only hair.
If you don't like it, it will grow out.

By the way, I know several people that are young and gray or silver and they look great.
There is a woman at my church that wears her hair in a bob and tucks it behind her ears and its a beautiful silvery gray.
My mom is 79 years old and she is just starting to get her first gray hair, its been blonde her whole life and she doesn't color it, then you have people who turn gray in their twenties.
My best friend has been getting steadily gray since she was about 28.
I wouldn't go through all the trouble of coloring my hair to hide a color that people don't find acceptable because of your age. Its no one's business and it will probably look great.
If you are coloring your hair because you are afraid of what people might think, quit doing it.
You should only style or color your hair to suit yourself.

Wish I could recommend a natural dye for hair but unless you are a dude who is going bald I guess shoe polish isn't going to do a whole lot for you:)

Latest posts