Can goats abort from hormonal issues?

rebelINny

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I saw something about this on the backyard herds goat threads but wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it here. I had a goat a couple of weeks ago that miscarried a small pink kid. She was due in Feb. However, she acted like she was in heat and was flirty with the buck really bad! I put him in with her and he bred her right away. I noticed though before he was in with her that she was swollen and discharging some, figured it was normal and then after he *bred* her her vulva looked as if she was trying to give birth, she did end up kidding later that day. So is it possible that it was a hormonal issue and is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again. This was her first kid. I am quite sure it wasn't chlamydia because everything I have read on that says the kids are mummified or clay colored with flaky stuff on their skin. This kid looked very normal with no flakiness.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If she has a problem carrying a kid to term, then it would be a progesterone problem. If she has a progesterone problem, then you would have to give her progesterone shots until close to her due date. Problem with the progesterone shots aside from the cost of giving these shots through the pregnancy is that they can have a problem dialating when they do give birth.

I would chalk this one up to unknown problem and then see what she does the next time. If she doesn't carry a kid to term for a second time, then decide what action needs to be taken or if it is even worth the cost to check things out.

People who own alpacas put the money into all kinds of different tests and stuff to see what is wrong but you can spend a fortune on it. Although if you have a good vet who is great at reproductive issues, it may not end up being super costly.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't chalk it up to hormonal issues when there could be so many reasons. Stress can abort them. Unless a necropsy was done and tests run, there really is no way to have a definite answer and even then you may not get a good answer.