Can solar power charge an electric car?

KimStevenson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Today, technology life is very developed, creating many advanced and modern technology products. Along with that is the use of a lot of electricity, if this continues, it will lead to a shortage or exhaustion of electrical energy. Therefore, products using electricity, using solar energy were born and supported by everyone, such as electric cars. Can solar energy be used to charge electric cars? Hope everyone can tell me the answer.
Thanks everyone.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From the little I know, the solar panels would be connected to a battery system and charge that. Then, the car gets plugged into the battery bank and gets charged off that. I would think that plugging a solar panel directly to the car would take forever to charge the car, but I guess it takes a long time to charge an electric car anyway.

flowerbug

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
of course they can. it's a question of how much $ you want to pay and how much sun you get.

pretty much here it can be so variable that solar isn't good enough for anything in the winter, you can get a few sunny days at a time and then not have sun for six weeks in a row. this past late winter was the sunniest i remember in a long time.

instead of investing in solar here it makes a lot more sense to encourage the power company to invest in wind energy, more transmission lines and to also help people have better insulation and other things that help with efficiency for heating, hot water, cooking and lighting.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry Hun, can't take you out to dinner because it was overcast yesterday and the car doesn't have enough power to get us there and back...

Electricity is produced by moving a magnet through a coil of wire. I know this sounds very simple, but it's true.

I often wondered why this is not used on wheels of an electric car to help recharge it's power plant (batteries). There are 4 wheels on every car so you have the potential to have 4 little generators helping recoup some of the lost energy.

I'm just a simpleton, with a simpletons point of view.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't understand the concepts very well... but doesn't the toyota hybrids do something like that @CrealCritter ?????

They might IDK honesty I thought hybrids were gas and electric??? I know I loaded 12 bags of cement (720 lbs) on a pallet in the back of my Truck Sunday. Then l forked it off when I got home with my bobcat. I would hate to see what the forklift would have done to one of those hybrids :rolleyes:

I don't drive my truck everyday but it sure comes in handy when I need to carry something bulky or heavy or pull a heavy trailer.

BTW my truck has 4 250 amp alternators at 14.8 volts DC and a extra battery to play the radio really loud.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Different types of solar panels for different areas. The ones that work best here where it's cloudy and mild most of the year will burn out in summer on the east side of the mountains because they overheat.

Those solar farms we passed going to Las Vegas from Barstow, California use mirrors to focus on a central spot and the heat is used to generate steam and power a turbine. They also have a tendency to set themselves on fire. In the 8 months hubby was there they caught on fire 2 or 3 times.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There was a news clip years ago about those solar farms in the desert and how many birds they kill. Birds fly into the reflected light energy "beams" and die.

KimStevenson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
From the little I know, the solar panels would be connected to a battery system and charge that. Then, the car gets plugged into the battery bank and gets charged off that. I would think that plugging a solar panel directly to the car would take forever to charge the car, but I guess it takes a long time to charge an electric car anyway.
Thanks you so much for your comment