Can you freeze zucchini or squash?

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can freeze zucchini or squash. I know that you can freeze zucchini bread. I would love all ideas and recipes. Thanks

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I freeze zuchini like this: grate it and put it on a cookie sheet and freeze it in 1 cup (approximate) portions in ziplocs, to use in baking recipes later.

I'm sure you could cube it, or slice it and do the same. Not sure about doing it whole though?

I've sliced up summer squash and froze it in ziplocs. (I've reused in stir fry, for shishkebabs, and to sautee)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, I freeze both to use in soups, stir fry and casseroles. I'm sure it isn't as firm as fresh squash, but it is still flavorful and of good consistency for my needs.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I will try to freeze some some. I just love what summer offter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, Sebright! That is some kid you are raising! You deserve a trophy! What a bright, mature young lady....and smart! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
here's some info on freezing zucchini
we sure have TONS of it in our fields..LOL--I like the tip on freezing a whole zucc....
Hope it helps some.

No matter what recipe you have for your zucchini, it's extremely simple to freeze it for later use. Always wash your zucchini to ensure that no insecticide or dirty residue is left. Then follow these simple steps according to the recipe you will be using.

To freeze zucchini to use later in zucchini bread, simply cut the top and bottom ends off and then shread the zucchini (skin and seeds included) using the larger shread pattern. You can do this manually or with a food processor/shredder. Once the zucchini is shredded, check your zucchini recipe, and see how much zucchini you need per recipe. Measure and freeze that amount in each bag. Label the bag with the date your froze the zucchini and the amount (2 cups) included in the bag. When you are ready to make the zucchini bread, take the bag out of the freezer and place it on a plate to thaw. Once it has thawed, follow the standard instructions for your zucchini bread. There will be some liquid in the bag, this is the natural juice that was in the zucchini when you originally placed it in the bag. Use this in the recipe as well.

ZUCCHINI STICKS: Cut the ends of the zucchini off and peel the zucchini using a potato peeler. The reason for peeling the zucchini is to get the breading to stick to all sides. Cut the zucchini into 2 inch sections. If you have an apple corer/slicer, use it the same as you would with an apple to remove the core and create wedges of zucchini. If you do not have one, simply cut each section into wedges approximately 3/4 inch thick and slice off the larger seed section. Moisten the zucchini in water and then bread with a combination of cornmeal, salt and pepper. Lay the breaded zucchini onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper or a paper towel. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer and allow the sticks to freeze. Once they are frozen, place them in freezer bags labeled with the date. When preparing to use them later, deep fry until golden brown. You do not need to thaw them first.

MISCELLANEOUS RECIPES: Whether your recipe calls for sliced, shredded, cubed or wedged zucchini simply prepare it the way your recipe requests and place it in a freezer bag. Label the freezer bag "ZUCCHINI" with the date and the suggested recipe.

For recipes requiring a whole zucchini, poke a couple of holes in the zucchini with a fork. Microwave for 2 minutes. This will release some of the juices and prevent your zucchini from turning soggy while it's frozen. Rinse the zucchini and place in a freezer bag. Label the freezer bag with the date. Store in the freezer until you are ready to use it.

Some recipes can be fully prepared and then frozen. Items such as stir fry or zucchini soup will freeze wonderfully. Simply prepare your recipe and allow the meal to cool. Place in a freezer container, labeled with the date and then freeze the item.

NEVER freeze the zucchini with uncooked meat. If the recipe includes any kind of meat, the meat MUST be fully cooked prior to freezing.

You can also dry zucchini to use later. Simply cube the zucchini and then place in a dehydrator. Once the zucchini is fully dried, place in an airtight container until you are ready to use.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick, thanks for the great ideas. I am going to try them out. I would also like to thank anyone else. These tips will come in great use.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:)

I see your siggy you have "too many horses"---LOL-----LOL---never can have enough. Horse maniac here.

We used to breed Spotted Saddle Horses, had about 60 broodmares back then, but my father in law got sick with colon cancer and we decided the work was too much and sold out.

My wonderful horse, Peepers, passed away about 7 mos. ago with a twisted gut. Never saw that one coming!--UGH

So now I am horseless....but I have a 3 year old daughter and when she is aobut 5 or so I am buying 2 new horses, 1 for her and 1 for me...LOL....then back into riding big time. Riding is one of the most relaxing wonderful things to do in this world! My friend Barb and I trailered everywhere to ride the entire day. Wow I miss that!

So tell me what horses you have? I love anything horses and enjoy hearing about others.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mother and I raise Quarter Horses. I have four of them at my house right now. As soon as I get my stalls in my barn, two go back to my mom's and the stud colt comes to my house. I love them, but since my son has been born, I haven't got to show and trail ride as much. I miss it. Together my mom and I have 16. We are trying to sell a few. Things are just going up and the horse prices are just going down. Not a good time to sell horses. I am horse crazy and always have been. They are my passion. I was born riding horses. I will always have atleast one or two if not more. lol They are more like family to me than animals.
I don't know what he would do with 60 of them. lol Don't have enough land for that many. Not saying I would love to have that many.