Canned Beef?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DD gets a commodity food package.*
About half the box is canned goods. There is always a meat included with the canned goods. It's only ever been tuna or salmon, but this month we got a big, BIG can of beef. Just beef, in it's own juice. The can says it's ready to eat.
I don't know if I should expect grounds or chunks or what, and I have never cooked with canned beef before. I was going to make lasagna today, and I was thinking about putting the beef in there.

Would this work? Does anyone know? What else could I do with it? TIA!

*It's for people over 65 and under 6, but you can't also get WIC. So, basically, a child gets commodities for a year after WIC ends.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of beef it would be but after you open the can, you could freeze it in serving size baggies. I use my home canned beef chunks and strips in soups, stews, chili, fajitas, tacos, etc. Any place shredded beef can be used.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The beef is more of a shredded roast beef. I don't know that I would use it in lasagne, but it makes excellent hot beef sandwiches or beef and noodles. There may be some solidified fat on the top of the can when you open it. This can just be scraped off. There may be some gelatinous stuff also, this just melts into broth when heated.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, beef and noodles! I was going to make sour cream today. I can harangue DH into making noodles. I'll buy mushrooms and we can have stroganoff on Sunday for about $1.

Yay. Thanks!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ever eat Spam? That is canned Pork mostly. I used to buy small (like tuna) cans of canned Beef some times sliced and other times chunks, but even the chunks were easy to shred with a fork. I would take any juice in the can and turn it into brown gravy (flour or corn starch, additional fat if needed [usually not] brown carefully while it thickens) serve with the warmed meat over a starch. Bread=open face beef sandwich, noodles, rice, or potatoes.
Never thought of lasagna, but I would probably drain the juice and use it in the water for the noodles, chunk or shred the beef and put in the tomatoe sauce to warm and flavor thru and just go on as normal. I would taste the beef right out of the can and judge if the flavor can be improved by browning, also I would want to check the salt level because I use lots of salty cheese in my version. Good luck!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Beef pot pies in individual containers for the freezer!

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
canned beef is absolutely fantastic and SOOOO convenient...

-boil meat in water till all is cooked...
-drain and rince
-fill canning jars
-fill to 1 inch of top with broth or water
-process...90 min in p canner

all done...now when ever calls for beef just drop in a jar...is very delicious and flavourfull
usually there might be a tiny bit of solitified fat on top...just discard before cooking...

I also...can my spagetti sauce with the meat already in it....just makes life quick and easy

1 pint jar is roughly a pound of meat

Latest posts