Canned pound cake?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Found this recipe today. Intrigueing. Any one tried such a thing?

“Canned” Pound Cake
Canning Recipes November 21, 2016 Comments: 18
Grandma’s have done this for years yet you won’t find this in any canning books. Based on friends who have done this for years and the canning grannies out there, this can be stored for up to one year. (But let’s be real – how long do you really think these will stick around?) Besides, they make great gifts!
Preheat the oven on 350°. Grease 12 wide mouth pint jars (or 6 quarts) and set them aside. I used Crisco to grease mine and if that’s not handy, you can use Baker’s Joy Spray.
20161120_073818

I whipped up my mother’s “top secret” pound cake recipe and then spooned each jar 1/2 full, be careful not to get any on the edges of the jar. This takes a little time and a steady hand.
20161120_082002

For a more even bake, put the jars directly on the rack and bake until golden brown, in my oven, approximately 45 minutes. The 1st batch I made, I put them on the cookie sheet, and you’ll be able to see the difference in the pictures below.
20161120_090404

While baking, I laid out 12 new rings and lids – no need to boil, the heat from the jars will seal these babies in no time! Once done, remove and quickly wipe the rims clean, place a lid and ring on them and tighten down, they will seal within 5 to 7 minutes.
Here’s the 1st batch I cooked on the cookie sheet.
20161120_092927

Check out the difference on the second batch, it cooked much more evenly when you place them directly on the oven rack. Yes, these are quarts ~ I’m thinking Sunday dinners…..
20161120_213127

And you can’t have Vanilla without Chocolate……
20161120_213222

Ok, so here’s my Mama’s “Top Secret” Pound Cake recipe. (Mama, don’t shoot me, but I can’t share something this cool without the recipe to go along with it):
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 stick Crisco (1 cup)
  • 2 sticks butter (Mama says “margarine”, I prefer real butter)
Blend together sugar, Crisco, butter until smooth.
  • 6 medium eggs
Slowly add in one egg at a time, blending as you go.
  • 4 cup plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt, added to flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, added to milk
Alternate adding milk then flour to the mixture, mixing as you go until mixed very well. If you prefer Chocolate, add 1/2 cup of Cocoa Powder and 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. Options are endless!
**We popped one open to sample, when my boys beg for more and say it’s PERFECT, I take that as a compliment….
H~A~P~P~Y B~A~K~I~N~G!!!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, you are right, they're never around for a year. as a gift ok, for regular eating, nope, not going to waste a lid. we have some reusable plastic ones for around the house (i hate plastic containers for most items so i prefer a glass jar for food storage of leftovers).

edited to add that yes, we did try this a few years ago.

Last edited:

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you

“Canned” Pound Cake
Grandma’s have done this for years yet you won’t find this in any canning books. Based on friends who have done this for years and the canning grannies out there, this can be stored for up to one year. (But let’s be real – how long do you really think these will stick around?) Besides, they make great gifts!
Preheat the oven on 350°. Grease 12 wide mouth pint jars (or 6 quarts) and set them aside. I used Crisco to grease mine and if that’s not handy, you can use Baker’s Joy Spray.
20161120_073818

I whipped up my mother’s “top secret” pound cake recipe and then spooned each jar 1/2 full, be careful not to get any on the edges of the jar. This takes a little time and a steady hand.
20161120_082002

For a more even bake, put the jars directly on the rack and bake until golden brown, in my oven, approximately 45 minutes. The 1st batch I made, I put them on the cookie sheet, and you’ll be able to see the difference in the pictures below.
20161120_090404

While baking, I laid out 12 new rings and lids – no need to boil, the heat from the jars will seal these babies in no time! Once done, remove and quickly wipe the rims clean, place a lid and ring on them and tighten down, they will seal within 5 to 7 minutes.
20161120_092927

Check out the difference on the second batch, it cooked much more evenly when you place them directly on the oven rack. Yes, these are quarts ~ I’m thinking Sunday dinners…..
20161120_213127

20161120_213222

Ok, so here’s my Mama’s “Top Secret” Pound Cake recipe. (Mama, don’t shoot me, but I can’t share something this cool without the recipe to go along with it):
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 stick Crisco (1 cup)
  • 6 medium eggs
  • 4 cup plain flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
Alternate adding milk then flour to the mixture, mixing as you go until mixed very well. If you prefer Chocolate, add 1/2 cup of Cocoa Powder and 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. Options are endless!
**We popped one open to sample, when my boys beg for more and say it’s PERFECT, I take that as a compliment….
Thank you for posting... how sweet of you to share and I am looking forward to giving this a try.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

“Canned” Pound Cake
20161120_073818

20161120_082002

20161120_090404

20161120_092927

20161120_213127

20161120_213222

• 3 cups sugar
  • 1 stick Crisco (1 cup)
  • 6 medium eggs
  • 4 cup plain flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
Definitely going to give this a try

Latest posts