Canning fish

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We always like to stock up on fish when possible and it takes up a lot of valuable deep freeze space.... So we've been talking canning.

Any favorite fish or techniques? Probably a bone head question, but are there any other fish that I could can that taste like tuna. I LOVE regular ol' canned tuna and would love to find something close to it that I could can myself. I live in KY so that is where I will be doing my fishing.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fish is easy. You just clean the fish and raw pack it and pressure can. The only thing that tastes like tuna is tuna but a really nice sized fillet of trout or bass will come out pretty flaky and nice.

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I figured about the tuna, just wishful thinking. If there was one, I would quickly learn how to fish it. You can believe that.

There was someone who had canned Buffalo bones and all. They said that by the time it was ready the bones are completely dissolved. I think it was made like sauerkraut, I'm not sure. Anyone heard of this?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know that you can take a pike and just cut a piece about four inches long and put it in the jar spine, ribs and all and by the time it's canned and ready to eat the bones are just like sardine bones so you could just eat them if you were so inclined. But I don't know about buffalo bones-seems like in order to get them that soft they would need to be processed in some kind of acid or fermentation process.