Canning jars for leftover re-heating.........

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Since my participation on this site has increased my awareness about waste, I looked at the half-emptied canning jar of spaghetti sauce and the not used up pot of spaghetti and thought "why dirty another storage container?" So I put the leftovers together and put it in the fridge. So far so good.
But when I went to re-heat the leftovers, I put the jar directly into the microwave and heated it.

The jar did not crack but I'm thinking it might sooner or later as the mouth of the jar got pretty hot while the bottom and contents too longer to warm up. I'm thinking this difference in temperature might cause the jar to crack or maybe explode.

Anyone ever tried this and had a problem?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We have never nuked our jars, we just dirty another glass container.:lol: We also never nuke anything in plastic containers either.
One suggestion if you don't already have them,is to pickup some of the plastic screw on lids that Ball makes for the wide mouth jars. Much easier than messing with reusing the rings and lids you canned the stuff with. My wife LOVES those plastic lids!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a great idea for storage. glass is so versatile. maybe you could heat the leftovers in a pan of boiling water. Kinda like my mom used to heat the baby bottles. Avoid the microwave all together. But I guess if you were using the stove you could just dump contents in the pan. Hummm???

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Yeah the glass is so much easier to clean than plastic - I find plastic hard to get clean.
and SKR8PN, I use those plastic lids too for things like cereal and nuts that will be repeatedly opened and closed. They are easier.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've never tried it. If it seems like a bad idea, though, it probably is ;)

Me, I transfer things into glass or stoneware/porcelain/etc microwaveable bowls or glass custard cups. Or my 2 C glass measuring cup, that gets a LOT of work as a microwaving container :p With a lunch- or saucer-sized plate as a lid.

Good luck, be careful,

Pat

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I haven't specifically tried to reheat left overs in glass jars, but I often have to de-crystalize honey in glass jars.

As long as the outside of the jar is clean, I plunk it into a pan of water on the stove, heat the water until the honey 'melts' and use the hot water for my tea.

I don't know how well that method would work for reheating more solid foods though.

Actually, now that I think about it, that would be a great way to heat up soup when we are camping and use the hot water for hot chocolate and not have to wash the pan! Thanks enjoy the ride!