Canning & Mineral Deposits

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did a little canning this weekend (my tomato jam), and I noticed that all of the jars have a whitish film on them. We have pretty hard water, so I am guessing that this is some kind of mineral deposit. Is there any way to prevent this from happenning?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard of people adding 1 T vinegar per gallon of water. I find that I want to examine each jar anyway, take of the lid, check the seal, etc. For me, it's no big deal to also wipe those esposite off with a damp rag.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If your water is like mine, those deposits fuse themselves to the glass and a simple wipe doesn't do a darn thing. I do a vinegar soak.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You are right Wifezilla, I cannot wipe them off. But, I will try the vinegar next time.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the same problem, I don't measure just a dollop of vinegar in the WB canner.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I too use vinegar in the water while canning... plus before I start canning for the year I often use one whole gallon of white vinegar(I use it for cleaning so often have several gallons anyhoo.) and about one gallon of boiling hot water and soak a sink full of empty jars and switch them out every hour... I don't know why I start with hot water as it does get cold at the end and still works.. lol but all the jars usually get the treatment once a year... my glasses get this treatment about 3 to 4 times a year. But I don't car I love my hard water... you can't find a better drinking water.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
calendula said:
You are right Wifezilla, I cannot wipe them off. But, I will try the vinegar next time.
The film is lime deposit, so vinegar will work quite well.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wipe the deposits off when the cans have cooled off- I just add a little vinegar to a wet washcloth use that.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I notice it mostly on my lids when they come out of the water bath. I wipe them off after they dry. No biggie- it's just calcium

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some lids seem to attract more deposits than others, we have super hard water but if I get them wiped off within a day or two of canning I can usually get it off, however the deposits on the jars are quite stubborn and need vinegar.