Canning Pear Butter

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I haven't canned anything in so long.....and even then it was just one batch of marmalade.

Tonight, i canned exactly two pints of some really delicious pear butter that i'm really proud of.

Question:

The directions said to get the air bubbles out, and i tried, but now that i'm done, i see that i was not successful.

Does it matter? Do i need to re-do it?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It should be OK. Just leave it alone for a while. Sometimes mine is kinda bubbly as well.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Was it a high sugar recipe? I think you are probably fine, I would just inspect the jars before serving them. I have had some have air bubbles in jars and never had a problem, I am always careful about gifting anything I have reservations about, I just keep for our family and inspect upon opening. Hopefully someone will have the exact answer ;)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Thanks.

Can you tell me why bubbles could be a problem?

I don't think i understand. No, i'm sure i don't. ;)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
sufficientforme,

i think we were typing at the same time.

It was about a cup and a third of sugar in the whole thing, plus some spices. Does that make a difference?

I really wish i understood the science of canning a little better.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Generally air bubbles happen later down the road when spoiling is occuring, air leaves the door open to bacteria developing in the pockets is my understanding. My only concern is that Butters tend to be so thick unless properly processed for the correct amount of time for your altitude you could have issues with spoilage. But like I said I think you will be fine. I do not know a lot about the whole science of it either, just what my grandma and reading have taught me.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When you are packing the jar it is important to get the air bubbles out to ensure that you have the proper amount of head space. Too little head space when canning and the jar may not seal properly or could even explode! Too much head space and there is too much air sealed into the jar. That extra air space could cause the top of the product to discolor or even spoil.

The bubbles you are describing sound like the thickness of the pear butter did not allow all of the bubbles that happened when the product was boiling hot in the canning phase to rise all of the way to the top. Sometimes a little time will allow these bubbles to slowly work their way out.