Canning Pork

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I make a pretty good pork chile verde. I was wondering if it is safe to can it. The meat is already cooked, and of course I would pressure can it, but pork has had such a bad rap over the years, I am curious about y'alls experiences with canning it.

Kris

PS: Ingredients are pork, chicken stock, tomatillos, onions, green chiles, seasonings. I usually flour the meat to brown, but for canning I probably shouldn't, right?

My pressure canner has opened my mind up to new ideas !

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I cannot imagine any possible reason not to pressure-can it. Large thick pieces of very fatty meat are not necessarily 'recommended' for canning, for various reasons, but what you are describing should not be any different than, say, spaghetti sauce with meat in it, which is perfectly fine to pressure-can. (Not so much waterbath).

The only thing people get funny about with pork that I can think of, aside from antibiotics etc it's been fed, is the whole trichinosis thing... but believe me, after you've cooked yer chili AND THEN ALSO pressure-canned it, any parasites in it (almost certainly none anyhow) would be LONG dead :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your response. It was just the encouragement I needed.

Kris