Canning pressure question

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am pressure canning some homemade dog food - a mix of rice, veggies, and turkey. It's my very first time canning.

It's supposed to be canned at 11 lbs of pressure. But I can't get it to settle at 11 lbs. I know every time the pressure dips below 11 lbs, I have to start my timing over. That's fine, I get that. My question is - it's currently moving between 11 and 12 pounds. Is that OK? Or do I need to restart timing every time it goes OVER 11 lbs too?

This canning thing is harder to get right than I expected!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A little over won't hurt anything. Take a deep breath, relax. Be proud of yourself for what you are accomplishing. :thumbsup

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The recommended pressure for my altitude is 12 lbs pressure, but I have a weighted gauge on my canner so I can only choose 10lbs or 15 lbs, so I can everything at 15lbs pressure, no problems whatsoever :)

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whew! Thanks, y'all. The canner is finished (it ended up around 13 lbs of pressure) and the cans look good. I'm starting to relax since it looks like they all sealed. I'm excited, I've been waiting a long time to get a canner and get some of this stuff out of my freezer!

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hear you on that Diane...I can everything I can since I have limited room in the freezer. Congrats on your first effort...it's addicting! :)

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hear you on that Diane...I can everything I can since I have limited room in the freezer. Congrats on your first effort...it's addicting! :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The first time is the hardest. But it sure is empowering to be able to preserve food like this. Sometimes I leave my jars on the counter because I'm so pleased with the results that I don't want to walk them down to the basement.

BTW, what's the recipe you used? What size jars? How long did you have to process them?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DianeS said:
I know every time the pressure dips below 11 lbs, I have to start my timing over. That's fine, I get that.
This canning thing is harder to get right than I expected!
Where did you read this? Just wondering.

gina

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
" I know every time the pressure dips below 11 lbs, I have to start my timing over. That's fine, I get that. "

Where did you read this? Just wondering.

gina

Latest posts