Canning question :) applesauce

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How long would I have to waterbath applesauce in 2 qt jars ? i cant find any info on 2 qt jars but I hve lots, and we eat alot of apple sauce so I want to can it in them. any ideas?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The current school of thought is not to can in them, because of the difficulty of ensuring thorough heating of such a large mass of food. (Since they are bigger, it takes longer for heat to penetrate, in a not especially predictable way). The Georgia extension service thinks it is ok to process apple and grape juices in them, nothing else.

If you google "half gallon jars" processing time or something like that, you should be able to find fifty-year-old recommendations, if you like. I don't know offhand though.

Honestly, I would personally use them for refrigerated pickles and for dry goods storage rather than canning. Much though WE love applesauce too ;)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, maybe I 'll just use them for storage, and just put this applesauce in 1 qt jars. I've got about 12 of them, and when they are free, well, you know, beggars can't be choosers. ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They do make *great* dry food containers. I only have one, but if I came across any others free or real cheap I would SO grab them up! :)

Pat