canning zucchini ?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, of my mound plants the zucchini did the best. A little too well in fact :( I have a huge freezer full of it! I need the space but cant find specifics on canning. Has anyone done this ? Please share if you even have an idea , I am desperate!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zucchini is notorious for being VERY productive.

Don't mind me, I'm just passing on some ideas.......... You can try to dehydrate it, give it to the local food bank, friends, neighbors, family or even enemies :lol: or even a treat for critters? Have you sliced, diced, grated(zucchini bread or cake), mashed (for baby food?), julienne, stuffed, baked, fried, stir fried, steamed, dipped in egg & seasoned flour (fried), deep fried in batter, boiled, saute'd, etc???

I just checked a Sunset Home Canning book & it says for drying...

*wash, trim cut into 1/4 inch slices. To blanch, steam 4 minutes, then dry until brittle.

As for canning, it reads.......

*Wash and trim ends, don't peel. Cut into uniform 1/2-inch thick slices.

to pack hot--put into a pan, add water to just cover, and bring to boiling. Pack hot into jars, filling loosely up to jar shoulders. Add 1/2 tsp salt to pints or 1 tsp to quarts. Cover squash with boiling cooking liquid, leaving 1/2 inch head space at top. Seal. Process @ 10lbs pressure 30 minutes for pints or 40 minutes for quarts

to pack raw--pack slices tightly into jars to within 1 inch of tops. Ad salt as for hot pack, then fill jars with boiling liquid leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal. Process @ 10lbs pressure for 25 minutes for pints or 30 minutes for quarts

*Zucchini Relish

5 lbs zucchini
6 large onions
1/2 C salt
cold water
2 C white wine vinegar
1 C sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and nutmeg, and pepper
2 jars (4oz each) pimentos, chopped

Put zucchini and onions through a food chopper using a medium blade or chop; mix with salt in a bowl and cover with water. Cover & refridgerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Drain vegetables, rinse; then drain again. In a 5 or 6 qt pan, combine vegetables, vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, celery seed, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and pimentos. Bring quickly to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until reduced to about 3 quarts or 6 pints...Process for 15 minutes in a w/b.

Well, that's about all I got for you. Best of luck to you & your zukes. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I make zucchini relish and it is just delicious! My recipe is a little different, but I think I will try this one too. I make it in pint jars, whereas I make all other relishes in 1/2 pints.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Old Fashioned..that is exactly what I was needing. Thanks! My poor family has eaten so much zucchini I now have to hide it in their food.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just shred it and freeze it in 2 cup portions. Most of my recipes using zucchini call for 2 cups.