Carbadox in pig feed

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! they were too creepy! ha! say... that reminds me i think we are having chicken for lunch....

;-)

you gotta get them poodles to be on hawk alert. Dog#1 does this.

or maybe you should get some geese - then just go running when you hear the screamin'

we have several hawks around here but so far so good. when we hear them hunting we run over to the hen yard and they just move off. but we had a saucy little red tailed hawk that took a run at one of the ducks. yikes!

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I tried to give mine the innards of a chicken that we butchered here. He turned his nose up at it. I had to fish it out of the dirt. :sick and bury it somewhere else.

I fed my boy anything...meat too. (All cooked (scraps) though since he didn't like the raw chicken.) He tastes fantastic. :p And the meat is beautiful! I'm glad I didn't know how complicated it was to feed hogs. He was 400+ lbs dressed!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW! thanks for all the info guys!

OFG: yep, that's the book that's on it's way. it's the newest edition (published last year) and i'm really excited. i devoured their chicken book, so it was a natural choice. i learned a lot more about chicken nutrition from some scholarly papers, but the Storey's guide was GREAT when i was first raising my chicks and helping me get everything set up.

i don't mind corn. i just don't want to rely on it as heavily as commercial feeds do. i like diversity.

as to the do/don't feed meat thing, i didn't plan on it being a regular occurrence. if i have something meaty leftover around the house, she'll get a little bit, same as the chickens, but it won't ever be a common thing.

she's definitely not a pet. i mean, i like that i can pet her when i feed her, but i don't plan on cuddling her or taking her for long strolls. ;) my dad used to raise pigs when we were little so i know how crazy pigs can be. we had a hog barn back then (better than industrial pig "farming" but still not very nice) and us kids were banned from going in by ourselves because dad was afraid we'd get eaten... the learning curve here is that i'm trying to raise my pigs as naturally/sustainably as i can and dad is NO help in that department. he always did things mostly by the Big Ag book of farmer until more recent years.

so, no one knows anything about Carbadox?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I tried to give mine the innards of a chicken that we butchered here. He turned his nose up at it. I had to fish it out of the dirt. :sick and bury it somewhere else.

I fed my boy anything...meat too. (All cooked (scraps) though since he didn't like the raw chicken.) He tastes fantastic. :p And the meat is beautiful! I'm glad I didn't know how complicated it was to feed hogs. He was 400+ lbs dressed!
Yeah, baby! :woot My dad threw a dead rabbit (shot by a neighbor and given to us, but it was not properly bled, so we wouldn't eat it) in with the two pigs when I was a kid, just to see what they'd do....the rabbit never hit the ground. I wasn't there, but he still talks about it in awe.

Those pigs also got a bottle of beer a day from a batch that came out like Alka Seltzer!

Sorry, BibB, I don't research additives or contaminates much since I don't feed commercial feeds anymore.

Latest posts