1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Real Men eat Veggies (and other Healthy meals) - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Carry

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrealCritter, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Mar 29, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

Ok so I live in a state where I must have a "license" including classes by a certified instructor to legally conseal carry. I'm getting ready to go back to school so I can earn the state required license.

I hope I'm never in a sistuation where I have to use it.

I need a good easy to maintain pistol that's easy to consealed. I was looking at S&W bodyguard .38 5 shot revolver with laser trace but I'm just not sure either... I do like revolvers though.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-crimson-trace

What do you all like for consealed carry and why?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Beekissed likes this.
  2. Mar 29, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

revolvers are nice because there isn't a spring that can get messed up if you keep the gun loaded for long periods of time; and let's face it- what good is a gun that isn't loaded? Laser trace is nice because you can acquire your target a lot faster.

3. Mar 29, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

DH and I carry Glocks. I have a .40 and he has a .45. Biggest issue is it's heavy, so carrying it in a purse hurts my neck eventually (yeah I know you probably won't be using a purse lol!)

We have these because we are more likely to run into a bear in the woods we have to protect ourselves from than a human, and they both have serious stopping power. My .40 is not fun to shoot, but it's effective. I do like revolvers though too!

I'm curious how the class is. We have never been required to take a class here. In fact we don't even need a permit to carry, but I choose to have one for various reasons.

4. Mar 29, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I have an FN .40 because hubby didn't think anything smaller caliber was safe for me to stop anything. .45s are too big to fit comfortably in my small hands. The .40 was the best compromise.

We don't have to do a class here, but must go in person every couple years to reapply and get another background check.

Hubby was concerned about the tweakers that come scouting around country properties. I'm off our place enough on county property that he insisted and it was a good argument.

I wish the county would get to it on putting the Mountain to Sound hiking/biking trail along the RR tracks here like they had planned. Mom thinks I'm insane for wanting it, but more people would actually be a good deterrent.

NH Homesteader likes this.
  5. Mar 29, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

"I was looking at S&W bodyguard .38 5 shot revolver with laser trace but I'm just not sure either... I do like revolvers though."

My husband thinks this is a good choice if it fits your hand and you like revolvers. They are very reliable and one of the last guns they'll try to outlaw. He did say you could go up to the .357 if you wanted the option for higher firepower, not knowing what might come out of the National Forest you live near. The .38 is a very good choice. The .357 shoots both .38 and .357. It's a little beefier and has a slightly longer cylinder. Otherwise, it's basically the same gun. Both are excellent choices. Go find one and hold it, and see if it's comfortable in your hand.

Wannabefree and Beekissed like this.
  6. Mar 29, 2018
    NH Homesteader

DH says if you want a revolver, go .357, but he likes more firepower! But are you partial to revolvers? Nice to have more than 5 shots.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. Mar 29, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Good advice. When a pistol is more comfortable to my handgrip I'm much more accurate with it when I fire...lot less pull.

milkmansdaughter likes this.
  8. Mar 29, 2018
    CrealCritter

9. Mar 29, 2018
    NH Homesteader

Love the Judge! Yeah... It's a little large!

10. Mar 29, 2018
    CrealCritter

Me too the 3510 (3") can shoot .410 buckshot also - what's not to love about that?

NH Homesteader likes this.