Cast Iron

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am still using Revere Ware stainless with outside copper bottoms. My mom used them and I started with a set when I got married. Now I check out the pots and pans and stuff at the Goodwill stores and buy any I can find even if they have burned on spots. Most of the time you can use a cleaner to get the copper bottoms pretty nice, a few I have are badly discolored. But the inside is stainless and they cook good. I have some old cast iron, and some Lodge brand. They get used, wiped out if not too bad or washed and dried and a little bit of whatever oil I am using at the time wiped down on the inside. The outsides are not all that "beautiful" but I don't worry about it... I cook on Propane, or sometimes on the woodstove. I have a deep lodge pot with a glass top and I make any of my stews in it and it gets washed and dried and a light rub with some oil/lard/shortening after. I love the glass top for seeing in it.

I have not used any other type of frying pan since I got the cast iron 40+ years ago. My Revere Ware fry pans are practically like new.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have this set if pans from china. the cooking surface is rough to say the least. they were a gift and are very near dog bowl status but i decided to take a grinder with a flap wheel to it. you can see a couple knicks, it takes skill for sure.

i got this one smoothed out and in the oven. we will see how itdoes
20211219_103737.jpg
20211219_103749.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m so sad I can’t use cast iron because I have a flat top stove.
Oops - nobody told me I wasn't supposed to use cast iron on mine. I use CI and I use the canner too. :hide
My canner isn't one of those double-deckers so it's not too heavy. I almost hope mine would break - I need a good reason to replace it, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife pulled this out of the white elephant present pile. I'm gonna try it out this week on a half chicken. And mostly likely ham beans on the wood stove later this week also.
Screenshot_20211227-005646~2.png

Our version of white elephant.

We each get all the kids Christmas presents. But us adults only purchase one present with a maximum price and label it white elephant. All the white elephant gifts go into a pile. After the kids open their presents and are playing with them.

Then we count the white present and write the numbers on pieces of paper. we fold the pieces of paper in half and everyone who purchased a white elephant gift gets to draw a number out of a hat.

#1 and the last number are the best to draw. #1 gets to trade a gift at the end if they want and the last number also gets to trade a gift, if they want. My wife unwrapped the lodge 5 quart dutch oven. I had the last number and got some girly bath bombs, lotion and some funky epsom salt blend. I traded my daughter-in-law for a backgammon set. It's fun and no one ever knows who purchased what gift, unless they want to tell.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸