Cats and what they leave behind.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK, so my two cats (foundlings about 2 years ago) had a litter of 6 last spring, after which I had 7 of them (mom (Gracie) and 6) all "fixed" so I didn't get any more cats.

Dad (George), in his eagerness to assume responsibility for his family took off and comes back once in a while to "apologize' while attempting to increase his numbers". Little does he know...he is the only one with "parts" now.

In the mean time however, my garage had become an unspeakable disaster area because one small litter box is absolutely incapable of handling the waste of 7 cats especially in the dead of winter in SDAK. To make things worse, I had been giving them milk which they dearly loved but seemed to be a bit rough on their GI tract exacerbating the problem by magnitudes of order in terms of "fragrance".

Keeping the garage clean has been a major challenge particularly in the winter when things froze to the cement (-30 F is NOT uncommon up here). Although it was a little easier to get up with an old sharp edged metal snow shovel, it was one of the least desirable chores of my farm day.

Then a MIRACLE happened. My friend (who prides herself as a "Woodswitch) told me that if I spread used coffeegrounds mixed with ground up orange peel, the cats would stop littering up my garage. So, I spent a few hours one Saturday cleaning all the waste I could "find", swept the floor of the garage and spread the mixture all around the perimeter inside the garage where they seemed to like to make their deposits.

That was several weeks ago and lo and behold, the problem has NOT re-occurred since doing it. I was a bit skeptical about putting coffee grounds all over my garage floor at first, but now...O boy, does that ever work!!!! "It is an abomination unto them, saith the cats for lo, they are offended and will not go there any longer.

Just a thought to help others with what I considered a miserable problem. So, does anyone else have any other useful hints about how to control similar problems? I'd love to start a collection of these as well!

YMMV
//BT//
Trim sends

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We use a large rubber maid tub with wood shavings for litter now. Best thing we ever did for them.
No more nasty litter smells, and, I can dump the use stuff into a separate composter for a several year cooking.

Are you feeding the milk raw?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Might want to think about another litter box (or 6). 1 box is just not enough for 7-8 cats.
It would be a good idea to remove George's *pants* as well; just 'cause he can't make any more kittens with Gracie doesn't mean he isn't overpopulating your county with the help of other lady cats. He also will be less likely to spray - though, as an adult tomcat, it may not be a 100% solution.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Might want to think about another litter box (or 6). 1 box is just not enough for 7-8 cats.
It would be a good idea to remove George's *pants* as well; just 'cause he can't make any more kittens with Gracie doesn't mean he isn't overpopulating your county with the help of other lady cats. He also will be less likely to spray - though, as an adult tomcat, it may not be a 100% solution.
Agree 100% with you, ORChick. I have 5 cats & 4 litterboxes; I was always told if they start going outside the box, that was a sign they needed more boxes or you weren't cleaning them often enough. :/

And neutering will usually also prevent spraying, as you said.

I've also been told giving cats cow's milk was bad for them (not counting formula to bottle-feed kittens, of course) & was something you only saw in the movies. ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
ORChick said:
Agree 100% with you, ORChick. I have 5 cats & 4 litterboxes; I was always told if they start going outside the box, that was a sign they needed more boxes or you weren't cleaning them often enough. :/

And neutering will usually also prevent spraying, as you said.

I've also been told giving cats cow's milk was bad for them (not counting formula to bottle-feed kittens, of course) & was something you only saw in the movies. ;)
Raw is fine, but processed is horrible on their systems.
Mine eat and dribk raw butter, cream and milk often. No problems :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cats are actually lactose intolerant...
raw doenst seem to give them any issues, but after processing it just does a real number on their tummies...
dogs too, infact, most mammals including people have at least something of a hard time digesting processed milk in general...

i too would catch and "fix" george...itll be better for him and your entire area in the long run.

ive used orange peels myself, i actually steep them in hot water to make an orange peel "tea" then let it cool and put it in a spritz bottle...
i spray it anywhere i dont want the cats claws to go and it works like a dream, they HATE the smell its very bitter

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Raw cows milk does still cause extra stinky poo, at least with ours. So glad they are all outdoor goers after about 2 months!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
raw goats milk is really helping our older cat, Teddi. but dang, Nicholas cleared the room the other day after he had it. sheesh!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
coffee grinds and orange peels hu?? I will have to make up this mixture, and spread it in the garden...maybe they will quit useing the garden as thier litter box! :sick

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm glad you found such a great solution, I'll have to remember that one.

I've worked a lot in cat rescue and the rule of thumb we used was this:

One litter box per cat.

No more than five cats housed together.

If not, potty problems start.

I hope my experience helps.

Latest posts